Friday, April 15, 2011

More Rhett (Forgive Me---Grandparents and Auntie Em Want to Know)

Thanks for the support in telling (or lying to me) that Rhett's behavior is normal. I was prepared by my sister that in fact, it's not the Terrible 2s, but rather the Terrible 3s. I am pretty certain this is going to be the case in our house.

But even through this hard time of crying (and yes, I should have labeled it tantrums, because really, that's what happens), we get some gems.

First the shorter story: While making dinner on Wednesday, I ask Rhett to get a spoon so he can scoop up his macaroni. Rhett retorts, "I'll scoop YOU up!" He grabs his spoon and starts to scoop up my knee and eat it. After about four bites, he says, "I ate too much" and starts pretend puking. Where does he get this?!

Now the longer story: Wednesday is my house is laundry day. I get all the laundering done before nap time and then use nap time to fold (and watch girlie shows like "What Not to Wear" and "Pregnant in Heels"). I really enjoy this two-hour period. I count on it. I need it. So when it's interrupted by a little toddler refusing to nap, I'm not a happy woman.

Once Rhett started waking in the 5 o'clock hour, we knew we had to get a clock for him in his room. He's learned that he can't come out in the morning unless the number on the left is a 6. Of course, he's still learning his numbers and left versus right so this doesn't always work. This past Wednesday, Rhett came down the stairs shortly before 2, even though he knows he needs to stay in his room until "the number on the left is a 3." He swore that was the case, although I'm guessing it was probably 1:53. Anyway, I was not happy. I told him that he needed to get back to napping, which did not make him happy. After some arguing about this, I acquiesced and told him that he could sit in his room and read books because "we need to learn to be alone sometimes."

That lasted for about four minutes. I then hear little feet on the stairs and Rhett crying, "I don't want to learn to be alone!" Sigh. I take him back up there and make sure he knows I mean it. I sit him in his bed and give him 30 pounds of books. I told him he better read these and then I'd come get him when I was ready.

2:15...2:30...2:45...3:00...all go by and...no sound from the little man. Did he fall asleep? He had to have fallen asleep because no way is he still reading, and yet, there's no sound. I go check on him because what could he be doing?! And yep, sure enough, he was reading. (Of course when I say "reading" I mean, flipping through pages.) Not only had he been reading for an hour, but when I told him he could come out, he stayed in there until about 3:40 finishing all the books I gave him. I was laughing so hard. Oh man, I love this boy.











P.S. I leave you with a tasty treat that I can't stop desiring since I made it Wednesday evening: next time you do Rice Krispie treats, why bother pressing them into another pan and letting them cool before eating them? Why not just dump the melted marshmallows into the rice krispies, stir, and then eat? I'll tell you, they're soft, warm, fluffy, and oh-so-delicious. If you have to make a smaller batch because you'll eat the whole thing, then go ahead. But really, the stuff is divine. And just what Betamax ordered.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is amazing...I could never get my kids to sit still that long (and actually be awake). Nap time is also quite precious to me and when my kids have started giving up naps, I insist on "quiet time." They have to sit quietly and watch a movie while mommy naps :) Since this is the only time my kids watch TV they are perfectly happy to sit for 1.5 hours to watch a movie while I snooze.

    Rhett is such an adorable kid...what a personality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhett is SUCH a good kid! And you such a good parent. I am loving this story. You're serious, you stick to your guns, and the little man seriously took to heart your desire. I love that he read alone for an hour!!! I can sometimes get M to do 20 minutes, but an hour is just record-worthy.

    And can you help me? I don't know what it is but I have messed up my rice krispie treats 3 times in a row! I've given up! And yet I crave them so. Something about marshmellows not really melting well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the "i'll scoop YOU up" story. that's just pure awesomeness.

    next time give him 60 pounds of books. :) then you'll have twice the time for laundry and shows.

    and, if he anything like his mama (and probably his dad, too) he'll be reading in no time. like for real reading. like you'll not be able to say "O-R-E-O" in code soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw- how sweet! I love when little kids occupy themselves by reading! It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so sweet. LOVE that......and i'm pretty sure i'll love the rice krispie mixed up none squared too. ;)

    ReplyDelete