Thursday, January 4, 2018

Winter Getaway to New Germany State Park

Like I said, I can only take being inside my house...with my kids...and the cold...for so long. By day five, I was done and reservations were made. Normally, two-night minimums are in place in Maryland State Parks over holiday weekends, but I lucked out with a cabin that had only a Friday night available. So we took it.

We couldn't check in Friday until 3, so we left promptly at noon. For prep, I asked Chuck to take the boys to the library, but then to not let them look at their books until we were pulling out of the driveway. It was GENIUS. Other than a few podcasts, the boys read in the car on the way out and back. It was lovely.

We arrived to find the ground already under about six inches of snow. Gorgeous. The boys immediately geared up and went outside to play. This year we completed our family set of snowshoes, but six inches is a bit too little for them. So they just goofed around. It was cold (20s?), but like they care.


After a good romp in the snow, they came back in to enjoy the warmth. This place was definitely smaller than our house, and therefore easier to heat. The upstairs loft where Chuck and I slept was too hot, if you can believe that.




We woke up the next morning to about three new inches, and it kept coming! I mean, c'mon, look how amazing it is!


We opted for a hike, because what else are you going to do when it's 16 degrees?! Having spent a week here with Girls Camp, I hiked all but one loop in the park. But it was so fun to see it covered in snow. And after Ollie's usual 20-minute freak-out at the start of every hike, he did great. We were all plenty warm (although the littles could have used face masks), but we had a great time.








Getting out of the house was exactly what I needed and this place was perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! What a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so fun. Mom and I hope to get to Macks Inn sometime this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that really looks like a winter-wonderland! I'm super jealous. It could have been warmer, but whatever. Looks like you still managed to have an awesome time.

    That's a good idea about the books! Smart thinking.

    ReplyDelete