Monday, March 8, 2010

Habitat for Hubanity: a Chandelier Only Rachael will Love

Or maybe even not. I know it's totally crazy and totally different. But still, I'm drawn to it. Ever since I saw it on this blog, I knew I had to have it. (Or maybe that was the snowbound me; either way, we now own it.)

You can see from Beki's blog that it was shipped with some simple cards, some blank and some with little sayings on them. I didn't care for how that looked. And because I'm re-creative and not genuinely creative, I copied what she did with the circles. Since the rest of the room has lots of greens and blues and since I do love geography, I thought I'd cut up old maps and put them on it. And this is what you get.

I like it. It reminds me of this old shell light my parents used to have in their house. It ruffles and moves. It makes the room feel light. It makes me happy.

But now I'm wondering, what else can I do? Tell me!

6 comments:

  1. i think it totally looks great. i'm sure it's even better in person b/c then you can see the maps more closely.

    you could always do "holiday themes." like buy some really cool green scrapbook paper for march, pastels for easter, etc. wow, isn't that creative? will you hang your christmas cards there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about dried flowers? a family tree with photos? Rhett's artwork (maybe as he gets a little older)? We have these gel window cling eggs for Easter, they would be awesome for seasonal decoration as the light would set them off like stained glass. There are so many possibilities.

    http://www.windowgelclings.com/?gclid=CK3epvTdqaACFQk65QodeC46aw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I'm thinking that the shell lamp you are talking about that your parents have is also the same/similar as the one still at the Island Park Cabin...? Yes? I like yours better. I think Grandpa's just looks old fashioned, but yours works. Really. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mirror? I love mirrors in spaces like this because it makes the space look bigger and it will show off the lamp twice. That's my take on it. For more decore ideas check this blog out. I love it!
    http://www.thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strips of fabric! It would have a cool fringe effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. being a map lover myself, i really like the map effect. something seasonal with pressed leaves or flowers maybe?

    ReplyDelete