Friday, February 18, 2011

Uh, You Know He's a Pug, Right?

After Monday's very, very slow run due to a heavy toddler and an equally heavy jogging stroller, I had a brainstorm: make Chuck come with me so he can push the dude in the stroller and I could run scot-free! I'm sure that sans child, I'd be just bounding along, right?!

And as we in D.C. have been having simply lovely weather, this made sense because we could get out around 3:30, just when the day is at its warmest (which has been in the 50s but predicted near 70 today!). When I told Chuck this plan on Wednesday, this was my version: the homo sapiens from our house would run and then return to pick up Bruno and take him for his walk. But Chuck's version looked like this: "Since you're running so slowly these days, let's just take Bruno with us."

As my pace was one that Chuck could walk, I thought, "Okay, Bruno can handle it." I'm sure you've already guessed that no, no, Bruno can't handle it. As we started out Bruno was fine, trotting next to us. Along came some hills, which we chose to walk for Bruno's sake. Going downhill, we started jogging again. Bruno held strong for a bit. But at the midpoint we stopped to view an accident (Rhett was quite intrigued). This was about it for poor Bruno.

I didn't really want to walk the rest of the way, so we just put Bruno on Rhett's lap and off we went...for 20 feet, at which point Bruno tried to lay down on Rhett and just didn't fit so he fell out. That's when we thought we'd put him underneath the stroller and there he sat contentedly the rest of the run. Rhett thought the whole thing was quite hysterical, so did many people who got to see the funny long-tongued dog in the undercarriage of a jogging stroller. And raise your hand if you can listen to your toddler just laugh and laugh and NOT laugh. No hands? I didn't think so. Of course Chuck and I were giggling the entire run home as well. Fun times in our house!



P.S. Props to my sister for naming this post. When I emailed her the results of the run, the post's title was her response.

P.P.S. Inappropriate Pregnancy Comment Counter = Initiated at 1. Man from work said, "Well, you're looking quite plump." Really?

6 comments:

  1. what a great story - i'm giggling myself.

    really, someone said that?! what an idiot. is he married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also giggling myself! Great story!

    Also... go ahead, tell me what you were thinking as a response to Mr. Inappropriate at work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giggling here too, so funny, LOVE that.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed with all of the above! I'm so glad you got a picture of Bruno sitting like that! And that man needs to be smacked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Corduroy totally used to do that. Every morning on my 3 mile route in FL he would make it about a half a mile and then finally learned to just jump into the basket. It got to the point where I didn't even have to slow down for him. It was awesome. Good memories. Yay Bruno!

    ReplyDelete