Friday, August 31, 2018

The TWO Times I Ate a Salad for Dinner (not with dinner, FOR dinner)

Cooking in summer is pretty bad. I find that I'm so grumpy because of the heat, and that I don't want to be opening a hot oven or cooking over a hot stove. Plus, I'm the working mom during summer. Feeding the family should be Chuck's job, but...that doesn't always happen. It's just all really stressful. Plus, there's the whole my-kids-don't-eat-anything anyway that just makes it all worse.

Last summer we had the boys pick out seven meals that they'd eat, and we just did those every single week on repeat. ("If it's spaghetti, it must be Thursday" kind of thing.) But by the end of summer, they were complaining still. ("Tacos, again?" even though they love tacos.) This summer I was almost to the point of CEREAL EVERY NIGHT (it's fortified, right?) when I saw this. It was a seven-week meal plan. I love this blog. I love almost everything I've tried from this blog, so what the heck. I'm doing it.

It was pretty amazing. I think the biggest downside to it was the cost of the meals. I definitely spent more money on groceries to carry out the meals. I think that was mainly because if it said steak tacos, I made steak tacos, even if the steak wasn't on sale. Something I'd never do otherwise. But the upsides were that I didn't have to think about what I was going to serve the family, AND it got us to eat some things that we wouldn't have otherwise. The biggest win was that we made and ATE two salads for dinner. These were not side salads. They were real salads with real vegetables and real protein. It seriously was a miracle.

What else did we eat? A few "bowls" (a breakfast one and a burrito one), lots of sandwiches (but not pb&j), a couple of wraps, steak tacos, a delicious pesto/asparagus pasta salad, and other stuff (obviously). The salads were a chef salad and a mango cobb. Me eating a salad for dinner has me questioning my entire identity. I mean, who am I!??!?

So we'll definitely pick a couple of those that were our favorites to put them in our regular rotation. I'm super happy we did it and would definitely do it again.

What we ate...


What my boys ate...



2 comments:

  1. I loved the plan, too. I didn't do everything, but the simple, no-heating-your-entire-house meals were brilliant.

    I love that you got a picture of you and Chuck eating a salad for your main course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salad for dinner? Fruit picking? Who are you and what have you done with my Erin? 😉

    ReplyDelete