Friday, February 1, 2019

5.7 Miles Down, 94.3 To Go

Even though we hadn't yet decided on our 2019 Hard Thing, we snowshoed on our first snow day of 2019 so I'm counting it as a 1.5-mile hike. And then on Monday, when the boys were off for a teacher workday, we did 4.2 more.

For this hike, I knew I'd need to get them excited about hiking in January. So I brought along sour watermelons and picked a hike in a place called "Rocks State Park." My boys LOVE rocks: love hiking on them and love throwing them. It was a bit of a drive, but we grabbed some books and they were (mostly) happy.

We did two hikes: one loop and one out-and-back to a waterfall. Winter hiking is cool because any mud is frozen solid! But I won't lie: it was cold (upper 20s). I was so grateful that I remembered hats and gloves for everyone. No way would we have lasted otherwise. I did not remember, however, my wallet. Whoops. We didn't see too many people on the trails, which was also nice because apparently the falls trail can get super crowded.

For some time, the loop hike was high above this cute creek.


There was so much moss everywhere. It was weird to have the bare trees but green on the floor.


Turns out there wasn't quite enough rocks for my boys, but they were mostly pleased.


The boys were super excited to find so many icicles near the waterfall. Rhett was less than thrilled when Ollie wanted to break them all off and eat them.


We had a great day and are excited to try many new-to-us trails this year.

1 comment:

  1. Super cool sis! I love the Hard Thing goal and am excited to see all your hiking adventures.

    ReplyDelete