Friday, June 19, 2009

A Treatise on Young Women, Ziploc, and Bounty

Do you remember when you were a kid and you told your parents that "NO WAY" were you going to be the kind of parents they were? You know, because they were sooooo mean when they didn't let you get your ears triple pierced. Stupid parents. But now that some of us are parents, we see that we're totally doing those things because, well, they made sense. Those things make me laugh.

Then there are things that you never really noticed your parents did until you moved in with someone else and they did them differently. For example, there were three things of infinite worth in our household: young women, Ziploc bags, and paper towels. The baggies and towels were not to be used in any haphazard manner (neither were the young women, for that matter). Oh no, we used Ziploc bags and then reused them (especially if they were Ziploc brand--oooh, we knew we were living the high life when we had brand-name Ziploc baggies!). It was quite a frequent occurrence to see them drying on the side of the sink after a good washing. And paper towels? You better spill an entire gallon of milk before daring to use even one paper towel. Even then, maybe you could get by with using only half a towel.

As another example, my mom never put pots and pans in the dishwasher. We always had to wash those by hand. Consequently, neither a pot nor a pan has ever seen the insides of my dishwasher. Until tonight. On Tuesday I made these mini muffins. The dirty muffin tin sat in the sink for nearly 48 hours because I hate cleaning muffin tins. Hate. Apparently the hate I feel for this task is greater than the love I feel for a clean kitchen. That's saying a lot. But I finally broke down after dinner tonight and realized that it was time to clean it (after realizing that Chuck wasn't going to be nice and do it for me). While I begrudgingly cleaned the darn thing, I asked Chuck if they make mini muffin liners because I'd totally buy those. He remarks, "Why don't you just put it in the dishwasher?" WHAT? You can do that? A muffin tin in the dishwasher? I never! But I did. And it feels so good. Sorry Mom.


5 comments:

  1. ha. i have washed a pot or tin or two in the dishwasher. but i cringe every time i do it because mom never did it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cracks me up Erin, my mom always washed/reused ziploc bags....and I also HATE washing muffin tins. My sit in the sink for days because I just cannot stand it, I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO funny!!! I conserve paper towels like they're made of dollar bills but Al uses them for EVERYTHING so I just refuse to buy them :)

    Also my mom never hand washed anything. If it couldn't go in the dishwasher then it wasn't worth keeping it and nothing was worth a preash, if it doesn't come off in the 1st cycle then just run it through again.

    It is funny what results when two families converge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. they do make mini-muffin liners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha! I love it! My roomie washed out her baggies too. I thought it was just ridiculous! And I know, my mom always washed our pans too. Justin's like, put it in the dishwasher!! That's what it's for!! So now I do from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete