Monday, December 19, 2011

Me vs. Baby Weight

For the first three months of me versus Baby Weight, BW kicked my butt. BW didn't feel like going anywhere, rather just hanging out and making me feel chubby, and ain't no one who likes to feel chubby. Turns out I'm really good at maintaining my weight, but not so good at losing it.

Eventually I got tired of losing the fight. To combat it, I decided that I'd do five days a week on a "weight loss" diet, followed by the weekends which would be my regular "maintaining" diet (but certainly not a binge diet). Also, I made weekly weight-loss goals, alternating between one and two pounds a week. (I'm no "Biggest Loser"--thank goodness!). And of course, I'm exercising every day but Sunday. Because I can't run with Ollie yet and because I prefer to exercise in the morning, I've been doing a workout video on weekdays and then running on Saturdays. It's worked out well.

I then spent a LOT of time planning daily menus that were completely balanced and not filled with too many fats, oils, and sugars (my ultimate downfall). Know what I learned? A couple of things. First, it's HARD to plan these menus! Seriously, new-found respect for nutritionists. Second, it doesn't take nearly what I thought it would to get my daily recommended amounts of vegetables and fruits, making it slightly easier. So I'm trying to find ways to get more protein and vegetables, since I naturally excel at fruits and whole grains. Finally, the dishes! All these "healthy" foods require me to cook at times when I normally don't (lunch mostly). But that tilapia fillet? Dirties a couple of dishes. That black bean and corn quinoa salad? More dishes. That snap-peas-and-chicken-and-strawberry to-die-for salad? Dishes! Ugh. I'm running the dishwasher and doing tons of dishes by hand. Peanut butter with jelly and a granola bar was so much easier.

And how's it going? Well so far, I'm down 7 pounds. At five pounds, I rewarded myself with a McDonald's ice cream cone. At 11 pounds, I get a pedicure. At 16 pounds I'm getting out my pre-pregnancy clothes. And the grand finale of 21 pounds? My shopping spree...a spree for which Chuck and I have saved money for months years. Oh how I want and need this. It'll be my own little "What Not to Wear," but without Stacy and Clinton (although I'll definitely have help). Who knows? Maybe I'll throw in a new hair cut too. (That is, if I still have hair after Ollie is done with me. Man, that kids has a kung fu grip!) Anyway, it's hard, but I know I can do it. I'm just really really missing my daily Hot Tamales fix.

P.S. I'm not kidding about that snap pea salad. Seriously. Get you some NOW.

4 comments:

  1. You are so self-disciplined. Seriously. I admire you. It's one of the many reasons why I love and admire you. Just one. And I didn't look at the recipe yet, because I'm not home, but I will! And you're amazing.

    Lastly, how DOES one do the cross-out letters/words when typing? (e.g. months, not years in your text above) I love it but have never figured out how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously so impressed with you. You are doing awesome!! Keep up the good work- and you already look great :) Kick that BW's butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome! I wish I could be as successful as you. I've been unable to exercise for 6 weeks due to sickness and now physical pain. I've put on weight and can't wear my regular clothes. Even recognizing that I'm gaining weight doesn't encourage me to eat better. I just don't have the time. Maybe I need to hire a personal chef for a few months to get me jump started :)

    Congrats on your weight loss! The Christmas pic shows that you're dropping lbs :)

    ReplyDelete