Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Try a Tri

After spending all last school year building up swimming stamina, I'm determined to do the same on the bike. I think we'd all agree that bike riding is a bit easier than swimming. You can go slowly, coasting even, and still get places. This is especially true when your route is flat; obviously biking is a bit harder with hills. However, like swimming, biking fast is hard. Also, bike racing, like what I'd have to do if I competed in, say, a triathlon, is really hard.

I recently went on a ride with a small group of women, most of whom belong to a triathlon group in D.C., some of whom have finished a half Iron(wo)man. I mean, these ladies know biking. This particular ride was billed as a "get comfortable on your bike"-ride which is exactly what I needed as I had only been on a road bike one other time. After a short briefing session, we headed out for an eight-mile ride. It was hard. Really hard, and I know they weren't going near top speed. When it was done, they asked, "Does anyone have any questions?" Um, DO I?! I do! Millions!

For example:
1. How does one train for the biking part of a triathlon?
2. How does one get faster on the biking part of a triathlon?
3. Does what I wear make a difference?
4. What routes in my area are good?
5. Gears! How do I use them to my advantage?
6. Can I really get better if biking is only a small part of my exercise regimen?

I had more, but have since forgotten them. I have nine months to learn this. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Did you ask them your questions?! I want to know those answers, too.

    But, yes, use your gears! Remember to check your cadence every once in a while -

    Here's a technical article:
    http://www.triathlete.com/2015/08/training/what-is-the-ideal-bike-cadence-for-you_120914

    #6 - Of course! Think of your swimming - you only do that once a week and I bet you've gotten better!

    ReplyDelete