Friday, December 1, 2017

Mental Load

There are a lot of things that I say over and over in my house. "The house is not a playground!" or "Don't touch your brother's food!" But this one, "Why am I the only one who thinks in this house?" is one of my favorites. Ever since I saw this comic, it made me realize why I said it. Because I am the main one who thinks in the house. The idea of mental load was new to me. But it's really changed the way I look at the stuff that I do for the house.

Just for documentation, here are the things that take space in my head:

Extra-curriculars
Vacation plans
Meal planning
Homework
Adult chores
Kid chores
Finances
FHE
Car maintenance
House maintenance
Medical appointments
Gifts (birthday and Christmas)
Scouting
Family documentation (DVDs, scrapbooks)

Chuck and I have discussed this, but have really yet to figure out how it can be more even. It's a process, but I'm hopeful that someday we'll find a good balance.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! The mental load is HUGE! I often defer all questions and decisions to Jeff when he is home because I am DONE!

    I read an article about “kins keeping” a whole back and it was spot on.

    Right now my mental load includes being the person in charge of our ward Christmas Party so my brain is going to burst!

    ReplyDelete