Monday, February 12, 2018

Update

If I have to be honest (which I don't have to be), 2018 has not been great. It hasn't been all the way terrible, but lots of hard and boring things.

First the boring. We really are not doing anything. Our Saturdays are as open as they were when we had babies. Campgrounds are closed and it's just too cold to be outside (I'm a wimp now). We've had no snow, but somehow have used up three snow days, extending the school year by one day (which actually makes me happy). So what have we been doing? Ollie goes to school. Rhett has school, scouts, and hockey. Chuck has work and YM. And I run track every Thursday, plan girls camp, and organize the fiction book room at Ollie's school. That's literally all we've been doing.

What are the hard things? Ollie has had some issues at school. Not vice-principal-issues, necessarily, but ones involving a counselor. Rhett, for the first time ever, has had some school issues and MAJOR hockey issues. It's all left me feeling like a terrible parent; I just want to ignore it all and hope it goes away. And one Sunday I sang in Relief Society and it was TERRIBLE. I'm still so mad about it because I knew the song. I practiced the song probably 100 times. But I got nervous and then that was it. Blah. Embarrassing.

And then. On February 1 our dear stake president died. I have never had an actual relationship with a stake president until now. This man and I served side-by-side as ward YM/YW presidents, after which he was called to be our bishop. From there he was called to be stake president. So yes, we knew him and he knew us. We could talk seriously or just joke. I could text him pictures of faces-made-of-food and he would respond, "You're invited to my birthday." He really was a tremendous man and our whole stake is mourning him. I am mourning him. So yeah.


Has there been anything fun? Yes. One night Chuck and I went to see a live recording of a podcast we both enjoy, "Ask Me Another." Rhett made a super cool Zamboni for the pinewood derby. We've had a lot of fires in the basement and those are always incredible. 
My triathlon was cancelled. We had a lot of rain and the window well didn't flood (I will always be grateful when this happens).


Anything to look forward to? Yes. Next Monday I think we're going to take a driving tour of two factories. Thrilling. We're camping in March. Rhett and I are going to NYC for his 10th birthday, also in March. We're all going to Utah in April which will be amazing. And soon enough it will stop being cold for nothing. The end.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for all the bummer events in 2018.

    Tell Rhett that Ben one year made a van for his pinewood derby car. Not aerodynamic, but he loved it. :) His zamboni is awesome.

    What - NYC for his b-day! So cool! What will you guys do?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter blahs. We’ve been pretty boring too. Jeff and I are both itching for family bike rides and hiking weather again. Our kids are driving us crazy and everyone has some “issue” we are working on/dealing with. Reading has been my comfort and Jeff’s been organizing our garage. We are trying to get our van in there, but that is a serious challenge. So yep, lots of blah here.

    ReplyDelete