Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Family Update

Okay, here we go.

Ollie. Started second grade and is doing okay. There have been a few hiccups, but hopefully we're on an upward trajectory. We still can't convince him to take a class of any kind, but I think there was a recent crack in his wall and we might be able to get him to take tennis. Even though I think he'd have a BLAST in gymnastics. He and I walk to school thrice weekly and I love it. He was recently asked to give the prayer in primary opening exercises, but politely declined. Ha. But he's our silly, clothing-optional, defiant boy.

Rhett. Started fifth grade, his last year of elementary school. I think it could be his best year yet. He is loving recess and lunch, which tells me he's found his people in school, which makes me really happy. Homework hasn't been too bad and so there hasn't been too much complaining. But holy crap: I have to start thinking about middle school! Where we are, we have a choice between three schools. So three Wednesday nights in October will be spent at open houses for these schools to check out their programs. MIDDLE SCHOOL. I'm dying. And oh, he was diagnosed with vitiligo this summer. Right now it's only on one leg (which is rare, it's normally symmetric), but it can spread. We have to fight daily to get him to apply his cream. Sigh. However, it doesn't bother him at all, which is why we have to fight him to put on the cream.

Chuck. Started another year out of the classroom. He took on another job Monday and Tuesday nights where he basically provides "office hours" to kids taking online math classes. He's there from 5-7 on those nights, which has been okay. We definitely had to shuffle the meal calendar around because there's no way I'm cooking things the boys won't eat when I'm only cooking for them. But I think we got it and have pretty much adjusted. I sent him golfing with friends for his birthday, but sadly they were rained out after three or so holes. LAME. YM campouts are resuming after a summer hiatus, so that's exciting.

Me. I'm happily back to part time. I love love love being in my house alone and have dedicated the start of this school year to cleaning out CRAP. I completed the library (the boys were AMAZING at letting go of half of their picture book collection--I was so proud!), two small closets, the fabric closet, and the attic. The ultimate goal is to have some sort of yard sale to get rid of junk, although I may just give it all away. But at least the attic is ready to accept all of the crap I find in the rooms as I clean them. I don't think I'm fully recovered from the trauma of summer. Man, I really hate it. And this summer was one of the hottest and wettest yet. (Evidence: more than 55 nights where it didn't drop below 70 degrees with super high humidity AND we had an entire year's worth of rain by the end of August and it hasn't stopped this month either. It has been seriously so hard.) Running has been really hard and for some reason I just can't do it like I used to. It's super frustrating. I started swimming again, but haven't been able to get on the bike because I'm afraid of wet roads.

Whole Family. We were rained out of our September camping trip, but am hoping we're able to go in October. We're looking forward to a family reunion next summer with Chuck's side of the family, as well as baptizing Rhett (hopefully in Utah!). Otherwise, our lives are pretty much the same they were last year.



2 comments:

  1. The rain has been terrible! I am glad you are back to part time! Middle school, say WHAT??? I love that Ollie politely declined saying the prayer. He is such a character. Cleaning out crap is my favorite so have fun with that! Thanks for the update. I love keeping up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Ollie could do a free trial gymnastics class once to see? He'd be awesome! But I'm sure he'd also be pretty great at tennis, too. Glad he seems to be on the up-and-up.

    Sweet that school is going so well for Rhett. Are all these middle schools Magnet school (is that what you call it?!)? Middle school does sound crazy.

    Dang, I'm so sorry about your weather! I'm sure that's what's affecting your running and motivation to run. Even here, with little humidity, summer is hard! I slow way down.

    Bummer on golfing. Go figure. Life is hard as an adult. :)

    ReplyDelete