Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Kid Kayaks

Remember how we rented kayaks at Rocky Gap? And then remember how after 15 minutes Ollie got bored and I had to take him back to shore? Then remember how I traded the double kayak for a single? Well guess what? Single kayaks are AMAZING. I could not get over how much lighter and easier to maneuver they are. I had so much fun and really enjoyed it compared to when I have to single-handedly propel me and a child in a double. It got me thinking: what if the boys had their own kayaks? Rhett and a buddy shared one at Rocky Gap and it was so much fun to watch them go, but also a little hard to see them struggle to try to control it (and control each other). So I scoured Craigslist for about a day, when two child-sized sit-upon kayaks came up for sale. Chuck and I talked about it and decided to go for it.

A lot of the campgrounds we stay at have some sort of lake. However, because we frequently camp in the off-season, we're not able to rent boats. So having these would be excellent and give us one more thing to do while camping. Plus, they're small. They fit in the Scamp, so we don't have to get a roof rack. And if we're just going locally, they fit in the car (not well, but we make it work).

We took them out the first weekend after we got them and they were amazing! I expected my boys to last maybe 15 minutes, but they paddled around for AN ENTIRE HOUR. They stayed together and even made my little mama heart beat fast because they were so far from the shore (and therefore from me!). I expected Ollie would be comfortable straying far, but not Rhett. I thought for sure he'd hug the shore, but nope. They were off and gone.

We're camping at another lake this weekend, and I'm so excited to give the boys another chance to try them out. (I should add: Chuck took them out in August. Ollie was freaked out by signs warning them about the (bad) quality of the water. Sigh.)

Classic Rhett: obeying all safety rules.


Classic Ollie: making a ridiculous face.


Also classic Ollie: shirking all work.


Brothers high five!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a whole lotta fun! You should frame that high-5 photo - it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete