Monday, February 1, 2010

Please Tell Me That This Has Happened To You

Saturday night I got an opportunity to try a dessert recipe I've been waiting to try. The snow kept planned dinner guests at their home, but we decided to not let that stop us from trying it. Why? Because it looked too yummy. It involved fried bananas, ice cream, and a crumb topping.

But first a little history: Crumb toppings and I are not friends. In fact, maybe we're unrequited lovers. I love crumb topping, but he/she does not love me back. At all. In fact, I think crumb topping hates me. If a crumb topping has butter in it (which any good crumb topping should), it just ends up as a crumb ball.

Last night was no different. First, I cut my butter into little cubes and placed it back in the fridge, in case my hands had at all warmed it. Second, I mixed the dry ingredients. Finally, I had Chuck blend in the butter. But when he was done, I knew it was ruined. I in no way blame him, though. It was guaranteed to turn out that way had I done it. At least with him it had a chance.

Nevertheless, I was devastated. This particular crumb topping also had a cup of nuts. A full cup. Do you know how much that costs? More than I'd care to throw in the trash, that's for sure. It killed me. I was near tears and snapped at Chuck all night because of how upset it made me.

So basically, please tell me that cooking can be this dramatic for others. And then wish me luck as I try it again today for FHE.

4 comments:

  1. Ummmm, hello? The little Christmas gathering I had with you guys is coming to mind! Remember the snow? My ruined ham???? Ewww, I still can taste the burnt, tough meat. Had it not been a Sunday or nsty road conditons I totally would have gone to the grovery store to get something precooked.
    When dinner disasters occur it takes everything out of me not to apologize every 3 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes cooking can, indeed, be a very emotional experience.

    i wish both you and chuck luck tonite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's so disheartening to spend $$$$, take time, and have a TOTAL flop!!!! i've reasoned it's the reason i usually order take out now, just to be safe!!! ;) however, i do realize that's not always an option. GOOD LUCK with tonights!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. Last weekend we went to a dinner party and I was supposed to take dessert. This is always a bad idea since my baking adventures rarely turn out right. I tried caramel brownies that more often than not don't turn out. Oh, sure they taste good but you can't get them out of the pan. I was sure they would be good this time, but we still had to make a run to the store for cheese cake bites to take instead:( Better luck tonight!

    ReplyDelete