Monday, May 19, 2014

St. Michaels Half Recap

When I started training for this race 12 weeks ago, I chose to do Hal Higdon's intermediate training program. I'd used his programs in the past and really liked them. But this time, I really wanted to do better. Faster. And by faster, I wanted to finish in under two hours.

But two hours?! Eek! That's fast, and I'm not fast. I've got endurance, sure, but not speed. I knew I'd have to take training seriously. So I did the pace runs. I did the tempo runs. I did the interval training. I did the strength training (yes, with real hand weights.) And I did the long runs. So come last Saturday morning, I knew I really had done all I could. While I knew my goal was do it in under two hours, mostly my goal was to run as hard as I could for the 13.1 miles and hope it was enough.

AND I DID IT! I'll be honest: it was wicked hard. I started getting really tired around mile 10.5. And at mile 12, I really really really wanted to walk. But because I had my watch, I knew I had zero time to spare. So I kept going. My final time? 1:58:57, with mile splits of 9:05. Chuck joked that I could have sat down on a bench for 60 seconds. Um, no. But I did it. It was crazy hard, but I did it.

Other than the hardness of the race, it was a super fun weekend. I went out there with three other women from church. We got a break from our families and enjoyed the beautiful small town of St. Michaels. We had perfect weather. I had perfect company. The only imperfect thing about the weekend was when the hotel water source started delivering sandy water in the pipes. But otherwise, it was such a good time. We've already recruited two others to join us next year.

Immediately after the race.




At the BBQ party. We clean up nicely, don't we?

3 comments:

  1. yes, you guys do clean up nicely - it's a really, really great picture of you and your friends.

    and you so rock! do you think you'll try doing it under 2 hours again?!

    glad it was such a fun and great and PR of a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rockstar!!!! What an accomplishment! And to have friends there with you makes is oh so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO GREAT!!!! YAY for you and meeting your goal! YAY for cute race pictures too, photo bomb and all!!!

    ReplyDelete