Friday, November 20, 2015

I Am Feeling Lots of Brave

Sunday afternoon the boys rode their bikes while I walked Bruno. Rhett was on his bike and Ollie on his, one with training wheels. But watching him go, I could just see that he was ready for the training wheels to come off. He had the balance from being awesome on the balance bike. And now he had pedaling down. It was a simple math problem: balance + pedaling = no more training wheels. Plus, I was just tired of those darn training wheels. They weren't made for the bike we were using and he was just so off-centered on that bike. I couldn't handle it anymore. And yes, it's all about me. So when I asked Ollie if he was ready to try riding with no training wheels he said, "YES! I am feeling lots of brave." (Oh I love this kid.) But on the way home we got distracted by two very large birds (falcons? hawks?) and forgot.

Luckily I remembered on Monday (yet another unseasonably warm day). Chuck took Ollie out front and within minutes, the boy was riding. It was just as easy as I hoped. Wednesday I took him to the tennis courts to let him practice turning and he did great. Next up: Braking! Starting on his own!

Seriously, this is one of the best moments in parenthood, right? Watching your kid ride a bike for the first time? Oh, it is for me.


Whoops!


I'm okay!


3 comments:

  1. Aw, I love this! Yes, it's definitely a parenting-highlight when your kid learns to ride a bike. He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete