Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Big Kids are the Best Kids

I gotta say it: I am LOVING my big kids. I know that they're not huge, but they're certainly not babies or even little kids (well maybe Ollie is, but we're forcing him to grow up quickly). They can eat food (notice that I said "can," not "do"), wipe themselves in the bathroom, do chores, etc. Rhett is learning how to cook things; Ollie is getting there. They can grab the key to the shed, get out their bikes, and go riding around the house. They can watch big kid movies. They can read to themselves and each other. They can play big kid games, sometimes without it ending in tears. They don't have to have little kids toys (which is good because we just got rid of 95% of their toys--with their permission). They can sleep in (sometimes, usually only when super tired, but still, sometimes). They can use knives, which means they both carved their own pumpkins (one with slightly more help than the other). They can use matches to light their own jack o' lanterns. They can use magnifying glasses to start fire, although I'm not super excited when one does this during recess.

I look at babies and just think, "UGH. So sorry, parents-of-that-baby, that you have five to six years until they're actually FUN." Or maybe not fun exactly, but until those babies can do stuff.





Disclaimer: The views expressed are solely mine. I realize lots of people like little kids. As I'm cold and heartless, I'm not one of them.

3 comments:

  1. I think Deanna is fully with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Todd beat me to it :-) Yes, I have a big AMEN to this! I am not a fan of babies and toddlers and like my kids exponentially more the older they get. For me, it is just so much ore enjoyable and satisfying to do things WITH my kids instead of FOR them. I actually really love teenagers! The stages that Alia and Lawson are in right now are totally awesome! It's just going to keep getting better and better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are enjoying this phase of your life - and since they will just be getting bigger and bigger . . . your future looks really bright!

    Great pictures of the boys!

    ReplyDelete