Friday, November 24, 2017

Race

Well, we did it again. A group of six friends ran an (almost) out-of-town race. This time it was the Annapolis Classic. Three of us ran the half marathon, two ran the 10K, and one couldn't run so she brought her bike and biked while we ran (but not on the same course). We left town fairly early and were able to enjoy walking around Annapolis. We got a delicious dinner and then chatted until bedtime.


Race start was at 7:30, so to give me time to eat and get ready, I got up at 6:15. Our biker gave us a ride to the start and within ten minutes, the gun went off. (It was a very prompt start, which I appreciate.) It was a chilly morning with a breeze, but not cold. I was happy with my clothing choices. The race started out just fine, but at about mile 6 the hills began. And then they didn't stop until about mile 12. A lot of ups and down. A LOT. But then it was over! My time was 2:12:53, so definitely not my fastest. But I have been running slowly during training runs (old age?) so was actually okay with this time. I didn't stop even once on the hills, and made sure to drink. And hey, it's not like I actually expected to win, even if my boys did.

Race start was at the Navy Stadium (hence the promptness of everything).


So what if I'm not the ridiculously photogenic race guy.


Race finished (hence the red face).


Because it's Annapolis and we're on the Chesapeake Bay, our post-race food included warm tomato soup and oysters. TRUTH: I'd never had oysters before. Because of this, I opted for the grilled (instead of raw) variety. These were grilled with bacon and cheese and hot sauce on them and so obviously, they were delicious.


And after finishing the run, we headed back to the house and ate our delicious breakfast. We had quiche, meat and crackers, fruit, yogurt and granola, and cinnamon rolls. So good. Then we headed home! It was a great way to spend 24 hours, even if we joke about doing the same ladies weekend without all the running.

2 comments:

  1. We admire your having eaten (swallowed) the oysters more than the running (ha). Sometimes, though, we eat oyster crackers; does that count for anything? Congratulations, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such a perfect 24-hours! Awesome. I think your time rocked, too. I mean, hills and all?! Amazing.

    So your pictures are just fab.
    #1 - Wow, look how styling you are! You look great!
    #2 - What a fun running group of friends. And you gave yourselves 10 minutes - wow, that's cutting it close.
    #3 - Um, are those the race shirts/jackets?! They are so awesome.
    #4 - Brave, brave gal.
    #5 - The house looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete