Sunday, August 30, 2009

The End of Mr. Mom and Ms. Dad

She Said: We have now finished one regular week for us. That is, Chuck was back in the classroom (although the students don't arrive until tomorrow) and I was back to being at home MWF and at work TTh. Already, I feel like summer never happened; it went that quickly. So yes, I'd do this again. Besides, Chuck handles the humidity far better that I do. It's a much happier household if I can spend eight hours in an air-conditioned building.

On my first Monday at home, I realized how much I really enjoy running the household. Rhett and I went shopping, played, went running, walked Bruno, paid bills, planned the week's meals, did our chores (me: sweeping, dusting, and vacuuming; he: putting away his diapers). It was just so satisfying, more than any day at the office. For me, this job of being a homemaker is totally satisfying.

Satisfying does not equal easy, however. After our Monday-no-TV-night was spent moving all of our bedroom furniture to the basement (and with NO home teachers involved), I was exhausted. I told Chuck I was glad to be able to go to work the next day so I can get some rest. Being a stay-at-home parent is extremely tiring. I honestly don't know how moms of more than one child do it. Rhett's even a pretty good baby and easy to entertain. But still, he's seventeen months old. He's exhausting. Lovely, but exhausting.

So do I like my job-that-pays-me-dollars, even at two days a week? Eh. It was a choice that Chuck and I made for the betterment of our family. But do I like my job-that-pays-in-laughter-and-kisses-and-funnies-and-happy-nap-time? Oh boy, do I. I love that little boy and I love being his mom.

One last thing, I was able to keep up my running during the summer. I ran a couple of evenings during the week, and surprised myself at how much I liked nighttime exercising. I did notice, however, that due to the sedentary nature of my work, I gained a couple of pounds and found that my body was far less stretchy. That is, I felt my muscles were tighter and harder to warm up than during the part-time work days.

He Said: Well, as we have now reached the official end of summer (according to the school system) I have returned to work and the summer experiment has ended. I have to say that staying at home is far from easy. I actually feel as though going to work is much easier than staying home (ask me again in a couple weeks to see if I still feel the same way). It was a great opportunity to see little things in Rhett's development and personality. Working full time you don't get to see all of the little things throughout the day. In that way, I really enjoyed it. I also am able to emphasize more with how e feels sometimes when I get home from work. I am more likely to get back home as quickly as possible to help watch Rhett and give e some personal time, which I now can see how little one gets staying at home. There were days when I didn't get the chance to shower and others when I completely forgot to eat. Oh yeah, taking care of the house is way harder than I thought it would be as well. Who knew?

Even though I think being at work is easier than being at home I am definitely going to miss being at home with Rhett. I honestly believe that if I could stop working all together I would do it...perhaps I just don't want to work (and I am not saying that staying at home isn't work). I feel as though I got more out of being at home than I do at work (e probably feels this on a much higher level). In the most simple terms, I liked being at home. I hope that it is something that e will be willing to do again next summer. I think it can be a family tradition that will be valued by not just myself, but by Rhett as well.


4 comments:

  1. aw, you two are great - i mean, you three. but you two are such good parents. but i'm glad things are back to "normal."

    cutie in that chair! cute chair, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was so cool to read your comments...Rhett is a lucky little guy to have 2 amazing parents like you :) I'm glad the experiment worked so well for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes i think the same thing, i need to go to work to relax, staying at home is exhausting, but in a good way MOST of the time.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well geez, I just needed to read your blog! I'm glad to hear that C thinks that staying at home isn't as easy as going to work...that makes me feel good! I wonder if J would say the same thing if he was in my shoes? I'm glad you shared these anecdotes with everyone! It will be nice to have them recorded for you as well I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete