Friday, August 7, 2009

To the Man in Seat 17D on United Flight 70 August 1st/2nd

Dear Sir:

I am sorry that you had the luck to end up in the aisle seat across from us.

I am sorry that our aircraft had a dent that required us to sit on the plane at the gate and then to have to change planes.

I am sorry that this change of planes caused my 16-month-old to awake.

I am sorry that we took off 2.5 hours after we were scheduled to depart.

I am sorry that my child cried for the first 1.5 hours of this nearly three-hour flight.

I am sorry that nothing would console my child during this time. Not me, not his dad, not food, not drink, not a movie, not walking, not anything.

I am sorry that you had to strain your head and eyes to glare at me, my husband, and my screaming child every five minutes during this crying.

I am sorry that you weren't as mature as the ten-year-old sitting next to me who at least tried to help my screaming child (with a shared Oreo), choosing the afore-mentioned glaring instead.

I am sorry that there was a lightning storm at Dulles when we landed, forcing us to remain on the plane an additional half hour.

But most of all, I am sorry that you had no sympathy for me, my husband, my crying child, who were certainly the most damaged of the whole episode.

Sincerely,
erin

1 comment:

  1. Boo, I hate it when people are unsympathetic about a crying child on an airplane. Like you weren't trying every thing you could? What do they expect you to do, get off? And seriously, you paid just as much to be there as he did! As you can see I am quite passionate about this.

    ReplyDelete