Monday, August 17, 2009

Two Things That Have Recently Changed My Life

I hate showering. I used to think it was because I hate doing all the crap afterwords (the hair stuff, the makeup stuff, etc.). But it turns out that I hated showering because I was never pleased with the end result. It doesn't matter what the season in Maryland, it's always humid, and I hadn't found a product that could tame the frizziness. Until now. Since this discovery I have washed my hair at twice the usual rate (although that usual rate will remain classified). But twice as often?! That's incredible. It's life altering, in fact.


Chuck and I used to keep about six Nalgene water bottles in our fridge, ready for the drinking. But then all the stuff about BPA came out and with Rhett around, I knew there had to be a better way. But how to ensure cold water without a water dispenser on our fridge door or a working ice maker? (Please don't suggest ice trays. They're far too much work.) Our trip to my sister's house last month showed me the way. They kept a cute little water jug in their fridge. It saved my sister about 86 minutes per day on water requests from her little ones. Of course, I don't have three little ones, but still, I knew that it would solve our dilemma. On our last day, Emily and I ran (literally, we were running) by a garage sale. Lo and behold was this beauty! I could have sworn a sun's ray shown directly on it. At only two dollars, I knew it had to be mine. Add a couple of $1 swim diapers and an Orioles batting helmet and SOLD. Luckily it safely made the trip back to Maryland and it's been solving our thirst problem ever since.

3 comments:

  1. nice!! I love problems solved :)

    Although there is no hope for my frizzy hair, I have solved our water problem, too. About a year ago I purchased 2 gals of water at the grocery for $1 each. I've since refilled those bottles over and over and over and over. They're big enough that 2 gals keeps us in cold water and I can usually guarantee one is always cold if I refill as soon as one is empty. They're also small enough for the older kids to pour their own if I'm unavailable and it's not a full gallon.

    Hope your bathroom is ready soon and that will be one more problem solved! I know it's been a pain for you; Al appreciates your flexibility and understanding. He's been waiting years for his electrical business to take off and it finally did, right after you needed a bathroom :) Hang in there, he has a lot more time to dedicate to you this week!

    And don't hesitate to blog your frustrations if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah for frizz-ease. how fun.

    and i love your water cooler. even cooler that you think of us out here every time you use it - right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Who knew a hair product could really work that great?! If I'm ever living in humidity, I'm sure I'll have to try it out.

    Very cool about the heaven sent water container!

    ReplyDelete