Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Happy Pumpkin Day!

I love traditions and wish I had more of them. So when I came up with Pumpkin Day, I knew it was a winner. At least, I hoped it would be a winner.

My idea was to go to a real pumpkin patch, not one where they set out already-picked pumpkins on grass. I wanted a Real Pumpkin Patch, where you had to actually rip the pumpkins off the vines. (Little did I know that pumpkin vines hurt! Oh well, still worth it.) Once we had picked the pumpkins, we'd feast on pumpkin soup and finish with pumpkin pie.

Our afternoon went just like that with the happy additions of a free hay-bale maze trip for Rhett and an awesome hayride around the farm for all of us. There's still time for all of you to celebrate Pumpkin Day too!

He played with Chuck's hat for the entire 40-minute drive.







This is what happens when you tell Rhett to "give the pumpkin a hug."

We thought pumpkin soup would taste better than Rhett Soup.



I'm really proud of Chuck for being open to pumpkin soup. It helps that it wasn't half bad!

Rhett having his very first (and only) bite of pumpkin pie.

P.S. Thanks Jess for the suggestion of Larriland Farms. We obviously loved it!

6 comments:

  1. dang, i wish i could have come on that trip too! it's a perfect tradition. i love all the pictures - chuck's hat looks great on little rhett. the hug is pretty great, too. so cute and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great day! I love the pumpkin hug. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man that kid is so cute i could eat him up! i love the pic of him in the wheelbarrow with the pumpkins. what a great place. chuck looks thrilled about the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun, and bummer I didn't know about Pumpkin day!! ;)

    Ummm....pumpkin soup sounds pretty good to me too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I didn't know you could actually pick them off the vine in places! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! I am glad we don't have to drive for forty minutes to a pumpkin patch because we enjoy going every year. I have never had pumpkin soup did you make it? If so you will have to post the recipe.

    ReplyDelete