Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What Would Good Neighbors Do?


What you see here is an aerial picture of my house (with the digitally-added smiley roof) and the house next door. As you can see, we share a driveway. Right now, that house is vacant (a victim to foreclosure) and Chuck (the green car) and I (the yellow car) have full access to the neighbor's half of the shared driveway. Of course we never park in that half, but we do use it to get around each other's cars.

However, one of our other neighbors has started using this driveway for their own personal vehicle's use (the red car). This is not only illegal but a complete nuisance to us! So here's the question: what do we do?

As we see it, we have a few options:
1. Leave a note on their car asking them to kindly not park there. This one is scary because it will obviously come from us. I mean, which other neighbor would give a fig about who is using this driveway ? Not one. And I really don't want to come off as the type of person who cares about this, even if I am the type of person who cares about this.
2. Put up a sign on the fence at the end of the driveway that says "No Parking." We'd do this at night, dressed in all black to avoid being seen. The violators would assume this came from the bank that owns the house and presumably stop parking there.
3. Report it to the county' housing authority. Not sure what they'd do, but I can do it and even anonymously. (I'm such a wimp.)
4. Do nothing. We take a couple of deep breaths and repeat the mantra, "It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter." We will be the first to admit that we're upset about this more because it ruins our beautiful little parking setup rather than the legality of the issue.

I want to be a good neighbor, but I also want our driveway back!

8 comments:

  1. oh gosh i have no idea. but i love your picture.

    i would probably do #3 b/c i am a wimp. or #2 - can you get an authentic looking one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious... where does the owner of the red care reside and why would this be a convenient situation for them?
    I also have another option, what if you start parking your two cars at a diagonal, like over at mumma's house. Could that simply prevent the red car form fitting while still leaving the majority of the driveway open on the neighbors side? Might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. daniel---the red car owner lives across the street from the vacant house. it's convenient for them because they have probably eight cars for one small house (i can say that because i know it's the exact same as mine) and a one-car driveway in which they park one or maybe two cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so obnoxious and tacky on there part! I would totally leave a note or talk to them. Do they leave it there during the day? It would pose an inconvenience for Realtors and potential buyers who would like to park there.
    Ugggg! I feel your pain! Whenever I have to deal with a situation like that I'm always afraid that the person is going to get annoyed and take it out on me.
    I want to here the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could talk to the bank that owns the house and let them know that someone is 'regularly' parking at the vacant home and they may want to check into whether it is being occupied by someone unautorized to be there. Then the bank can place a no trespassing sign. You may want to contact the police, too. Just let them know that someone is parking at a vacant house and that since it's in your neighborhood (you don't have to say you're next door) then you would feel more comfortable if they could patrol the area to ensure there is no fishy activity. If you need help finding out who owns the house, I can send you a link for property searches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i seriously can't wait to hear how this one turns out. i guess you and chuck could start parking paralell to one another and maybe they would get the hint. a sign may work best for a first step but you could always call and have the police tow the car since it legally shouldn't be parked there. like i said, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no clue what to tell you! I am pulled between several of your ideas! And what a lame-o person to park in your parking lot, seriously! I think maybe I'd have Chuck write a note :) ha ha since I'm such a wuss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What have you decided E? I feel so late on commenting....

    ReplyDelete