Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Camping, Take 2

Can you believe I went camping and didn't take one picture? In fact, I took less than one; I took none. So sad.

How could this happen? Picture it: Maryland, 2011. Thursday before camping (t minus 1 day) I worked all day. No time for prep there. Friday of camping (d-day) I spent all morning with doctors. You know, regular OB appointment, sonogram (yep, still a nameless boy, but one with all necessary body parts--score!), followed by a rhogam shot that took forever. I come home and put the little one down for a nap, but really, what packing can I do? I can't do necessary grocery shopping because I'd be leaving him in the house alone (no, Bruno can't babysit, we've tried). So instead I get the rest of the stuff ready. And as soon as Chuck got home, we loaded up the car and go. Remember, I live in suburban D.C.: avoiding traffic takes priority over food shopping.

How did this planning-less trip go? Not too badly! Of course, having the camping buckets ready to go was a big help. Also, for the first time, we used our canvas car-top carrier to hold all of our bedding supplies (sleeping bags, pads, pillows, and blankets) which made such a great difference in the filling of the car. I think there will actually be space for another carseat now. I also learned that the camping buckets are not only great for prep, but great for coming home. Instead of having to put each little utensil back in place in the kitchen, I just put the entire buckets back in their place in storage and unloading is (nearly) done.

Of course, our meals suffered. Hot dogs and marshmallows and cold cereal do not a good menu make. But for a trip less than 24 hours, they'll do.

We also suffered because we didn't plan on bringing Bruno, but we didn't plan for him to not come either, which means he came. He's a great dog and slept well in the tent, but man, that dog can eat some serious amounts of dirt and gravel given the tongue. Plus, he's not the best hiker.

But we had a good time, spent some time with friends, and went camping. Can't be too much wrong with that.

1 comment:

  1. still sounds like a great trip even with all the less-than-ideals!

    ReplyDelete