Monday, May 9, 2011

A Mothers' Day Brainstorm

Whenever Chuck asks me what I want for Mothers' Day, I don't say anything. That's not because I want nothing, however. It's because I'm embarrassed and feel guilty for saying what I really want: a day spent NOT as a mother. I mean, how bad a mother am I if I want to spend the one day devoted to me by ignoring the people that made me a mother? (And yes, I realize the day isn't devoted to just me. I'm not that self-centered.)

I love Rhett. I love being his mother. But it's hard. Yes, lovely-fun-funny-fulfilling-entertaining-teachable-silly. But hard too.

So instead of wishing for a lonely Mothers' Day, I had an idea of celebrating not only Mothers' Day, but Mother's Day (observed). Mothers' Day can be spent much like today was: Chuck making me coffee cake, me eating WAY too much of it, a little sewing, church, and grilled chicken with chipotle-raspberry sauce. All followed by a 6 p.m. bedtime for Rhett.

But what of this Mothers' Day (observed) of which I speak? Ahhh, it's the couple of hours the next day to do things all by myself that are harder because I'm a mom. Things like fabric shopping, thrift store shopping, pedicuring, you know, all the stuff a toddler makes unbearable. AND stuff that I don't/can't/won't do on a Sunday anyway.

I don't need all day for Mothers' Day (observed). Really, just a couple of hours will suffice. I'm sure I'll return missing my boys and wanting to spend time with them. So I think next year I'll ask for Mothers' Day (observed) AND two toy eyes.

And just so you know that I'm all for equality, I fully support a Father's Day (observed) as well.

P.S. I didn't get around to making the homemade Pop Tarts this weekend. But I will, oh yes. I will. And here are my Mothers' Day flowers: the most fragrant lilacs ever, straight from my front yard.

3 comments:

  1. I want the same thing, Erin. A day of not being a mom. Al attempted to make things easier on Sunday, but in reality I still made the food, did laundry, picked up around the house and all my normal everyday tasks. A mother is never truly off duty. People keep telling me that the time will come when I'll miss these days, but I have a hard time believing them. It is hard! But so rewarding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great erin, the best of both worlds: time away and time with. perfect.

    and i got lilacs, too! love their looks and smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! You are right on the money here! I guess this is obvious since I was gone for Mother's Day, not acting like a mother but just a wife! I did feel bad that it was Molly's first Sunday ever singing in church and it was of course, to me! But I was happy to hear that she was too shy and wouldn't go up (couldn't believe she was shy, my Molly)!!

    ReplyDelete