Monday, August 20, 2012

Coming Home

Since everyone knows how I feel about Maryland, I won't waste your time discussing it. But there is more to say; don't go! Coming home has taken some adjusting. It's almost like I forgot how to live here.

For example, I just don't know what we're supposed to be doing most of the time. What's our routine here? I just can't get into it. Before we left, I was working full-time. Starting today, I'm back to my regular part-time self and I just don't know what to do with the kids. I don't want to get too set in one routine, however, because in two weeks, Rhett starts preschool. (Whatever will I do with just one child in the morning? That's another post, I guess.)

I forget my reusable bags at the grocery store every time. (For those of you not in Montgomery County, if you don't bring your own bags, you're charged a nickel for each you use.) It's the first time I've had to pay for bags, and I'm not happy about it.

Also, I forget about the speed cameras. All of a sudden I'll notice I'm driving a bit too fast and then I freak out that a camera got me. I'll be on edge for the next couple of weeks, just dreading the mail.

Saturday's long run was a bit interesting because my feet hurt. All that day I noticed how achy the bottom of my feet were. Then Sunday too. I couldn't figure it out UNTIL I remembered that Chuck had the same problem when we moved in to the house. It's our hard floors! Our feet were spoiled by the carpet in my parents' home, so I'm now having to re-toughen them on our pergo floors.

But in good news, I forgot about how nice it is to have Bruno around! Such a funny pug. I really look forward to getting back to our walks.

Rhett has happily and easily resumed his Maryland self, complete with church shirt, casual shorts, and fireman rain boots. Man, can this kid pick out an outfit or what?


P.S. One word about our homecoming: the second I leave BWI and walk out the doors, I'm hit with the humidity and that's when I start crying. I choke it back and try to think happy thoughts. Those happy thoughts were quickly erased when we returned to my car only to find it suffering from a dead battery and a very deflated tire. Sigh. Welcome home me.

2 comments:

  1. oh bummer welcome home from car and weather.

    but glad bruno cheered you up.

    and don't worry, knowing you, you'll definitely get back in the swing of things quickly.

    and LOVE the outfit. i think it's my favorite. he should wear it his first day of school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are charged for bags?! Yikes! I forget mine every single time too, but thank goodness they don't charge me!

    Ha ha, I love the things my girls come up with to wear too. I should document it more often!

    ReplyDelete