Thursday, August 2, 2012

Another Words-Only Utah Post

A couple of people have asked how it is staying at my parents' home without my parents. I think they expect me to start tearing up and say how much I miss them. But I'm just not that sentimental. Maybe because I know they're halfway around the world. Maybe because I went in to this knowing we'd be the sole occupants of the house. Maybe because I like sleeping in their bed.

I'm pretty sure it's not because we like being here without them. We love spending time with them, especially since we don't get to see them that often. Last year, when they came out to help after Ollie was born, it was so easy! All four adults noted that it was really nice and easy to have them in our small house.

The truth is, my kids are little. Little enough to still wake up around 6 a.m., if we're lucky. Little enough to throw multiple tantrums daily. Little enough to need naps and 7 p.m. bedtimes. They're hard. And if they're hard for me, their own mom who loves them more than Maverick ice cream cones (sorry McDonald's; you've been replaced), then they're bound to be hard for grandparents, even though I know the grandparents love them nearly as much as I.

However, my parents are missing out on seeing Ollie walk for the first time. They're missing out on Rhett making up words like "disastrophe." (Isn't that a great one? I mean, come on.) Maybe they're the ones that should be tearing up. Then again, I'm missing out on being driven everywhere and having meals made for me. Maybe I should be tearing up.

So maybe in four years we'll try this again...with my parents in the house. Unless, of course, they decide on another mission. In which case, definitely in four years we'll do this again.

P.S. Change of plans for tomorrow (Friday). Instead of going to Vernal, we're headed to Thanksgiving Point. Now do you want to join us?

Now please excuse us while we celebrate a couple of birthdays.

1 comment:

  1. just fyi, thanksgiving point has $2 tuesdays the entire month of august. pretty much any activity is $2 which saves mucho money.

    ReplyDelete