Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The 19-Year Plan

So it may come as a surprise, but guess what? I haven't cried once since being back in Maryland. Not once. Shocking, no? The truth is (shhh...don't tell anyone) I don't hate it here. Now don't go get gettin' any funny idears. I don't love it. But, if you take away the humidity and the constant drone of insects and the traffic, Maryland isn't horrible! I mean, the ocean! Eastern Market french toast! Shenandoah Mountains Hills! There are some redeeming things.

Nevertheless, it's not where I want to spend eternity. Or even my earthly life. While on our recent trip, I made Chuck promise that we wouldn't live in Maryland our entire married lives, which is hopefully our entire alive lives. And shocker of shockers, he, too, wants to get out as soon as we can. Turns out that "as soon as we can" is about 19 years. The house will be paid for, the boys will be graduated from high school and maybe even in college in Utah (if their 529 plans have anything to say about it, that is), and Chuck will be eligible for retirement! It's perfect. And 19 years? I can totally do 19 years. I mean, I've already lived in Maryland for ten. 34% done? I can so do this.

Even with this plan, I still enjoy being here. I am actually okay with it. Truly. Just to prove how devoted I am to being a Marylander, guess what we bought as soon as we got home: a dehumidifier. Do you westerners even know such a thing exists? Turns out that humidity can get inside your house. It's bad. Things (and I sadly don't mean just food) start to mold. But my dehumidifier makes it a nice 40% humidity! And now, westerners, go check weather.com to see what your humidity is. $3 says it's lower than that. Just be thankful your dry air grows on trees. (You know what I mean.)

4 comments:

  1. I'll try to find something to make you cry. :)

    But really, glad you're back and ~loving~ it! Yes, it's so funny, because when we go to UT to visit, we ask parents and in-laws to get out their humidifiers so that my girls can sleep!! But we are buying a dehumidifier for our little storage basement area here.

    I'm so glad that you are here now and have plans to be there later. 19 years is totally doable. Good plan, Erin. As if you ever have BAD planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, our humidity is 63%. totally UNusual and crazy! funny.

    okay, well 19 years isn't horrible, i guess. i wish it could be sooner, but i think 19 years sounds like a wonderful plan for your family, really. it makes sense.

    glad you're happy about it and aren't hating maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin you make me laugh! I somewhat feel the same way about Maryland. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. The insects are SOOO noisy! The humidity is often WAY to high! We are on the 2 year plan. Steve will be done with his military commitment then and we will go into private practice somewhere in the west! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ours is 35%, pretty low i guess. although today i am bottling tomatoes so i know it's much much more humid than that in my house today! ashley has a dehumidifier she used while living in seattle. my brother in law is allergic to mold so they always ran one where they live.

    ReplyDelete