Friday, August 31, 2012

Return of the Routines

Even though we still had a fairly regular routine in Utah, that's one of the benefits to being home and it not being summer. Chuck is back at work (at a new job, which is a post for another day) and I am back to part-time. Next Wednesday, Rhett starts preschool. Real preschool. With a teacher and a backpack and everything. Pretty exciting.

So what does our new routine look like? Well I'm not sure because we haven't quite started. But a girl can dream, right?

Since I still work Tuesdays and Thursdays, I only need to fill the three other work days on my own. And since Rhett is in preschool for all three of those days, I need to remember how to spend the mornings with just a toddler. I am very excited to give Ollie the kind of attention Rhett got at this age. Ollie is just dying to go to all the craft stores Rhett got dragged along to. (He is; he told me.)

But the afternoons are a bit harder for me. I'm not excited about giving up the break I get when Ollie naps and Rhett takes quiet time. On the other hand, I'm going to miss my Rhett! For now, I plan on doing some sort of arts and crafts project with him on Mondays ("Make It Mondays"), sewing while he watches his Wednesdays shows (my one daytime break during the week), and doing science projects on Fridays ("Science Fridays"). I'm probably way too ambitious, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm not sure when I'll fit in running. Before preschool with both boys? On the way to preschool (it's only 0.8 miles from our house)? Early mornings before Chuck goes to work? We'll see.

Otherwise, it should be a great school year. One we're starting off with sweet breadsticks with cream cheese frosting. YUM!

P.S. We're doing it! The 2012 Donut Dash 5K is on! If you are local, heck even if you're not, and you didn't get an email announcing that registration is now open, please let me know. I tried to include everyone I know, but sometimes my brain doesn't work so well.

3 comments:

  1. your soon-to-routine sounds good. i'm still needing to find our niche for the perfect routine - trying to figure out when homework time should be, when can i do some crafts with my kids, etc. life is busy and gets filled so fast and so i think it's good to have "themed" days and the such.

    and maybe you could still give yourself 30 minutes of "your time" when rhett is home. you'd still have 1 1/2 hours for rhett-time, right? maybe a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't worry. if there's one thing i'm good at it's giving me "me time."

      Delete
  2. Why do ikeep missing donut dash!!

    ReplyDelete