Friday, August 17, 2012

The Three Reasons It's Okay to Come Home

You knew I'd start complaining about Maryland, right? Problem is: there are just too many things to say and I'd prefer to say them coherently. So until then, let me share with you the three things Chuck and I could think of that make Maryland better than it would be without them.

1. Soft water. Ugh. My parents have soft water in their house and we were never quite sure that we left the shower totally rinsed. (But Rhett misses it because he misses the squeegee we used to clean the soft water stains off the glass shower walls.)

2. One sink. In their kitchen, my parents have a double sink: one without a disposal and one with. The one without is the larger of the two. I will never understand this. The kids were constantly putting food into the sink with complete disregard to the fact that I'd have to pull out the soggy mess with my fingers (which is only slightly better than cleaning out wet hair from drains). And when doing dishes, most of which don't fit into the sink with the disposal, what am I supposed to do with the foodstuff stuck on the dish? I really just don't understand this. So, yes, we are happy to have one sink in the kitchen. *Chuck thinks this is a relic from the no-dishwasher days. One for washing, the other for rinsing. Ooookay, but again, shouldn't the larger, washing one have the disposal? And really, my parents have a dishwasher. Point not taken.

3. My friends. Seriously. I really like my friends. And lucky me...craft night is at my house tonight. So I get that reminder just when I need it. Not that Maryland friends are better than Utah friends, but Maryland with these friends is better than Maryland without these friends.

No disrespect intended for Elder and Sister Dad and Mom. Seriously, their house is way more nice and beautiful than anything we'll ever own. I can't even begin to enumerate all the cool things in it. You should feel proud that we can only find two things wrong with it.

5 comments:

  1. We'll remember this post the next time you ask to go to our house when we're not there!!! (ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF... Your Maryland friends are better than your Utah friends??! I'm really feeling the Huband love today. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree it's nice to have one sink - but of course mom and dad and old enough (and tall enough - barely, ha!) to put their things in the right sink so it's probably not as big of a hassle for them.

    good friends are awesome. i'm glad you got some. consider yourself very lucky - which i think you do. have fun tonite - wish i could come, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home sweet home.........or mostly sweet home.......;) Either way you are HOME........I'm sorry our schedules didn't allow us to meet up, I would have LOVED to enjoy a fro-yo and catch up with you and your cute kiddos, and your sis and her kiddos too!!! Bad planning, we were gone, then you were gone, then we were gone again! BUMMER. Next time? Although I'm guessing next year you'll be visiting your folks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with all 3 reasons to like MD. It's nice to be reminded of good things here. We had soft water in WI and I never felt clean. And our Idaho families are totally baffled by our one sink. But I love it. I wish I had come over for craft night!

    ReplyDelete