Friday, July 31, 2015

New Season Rankings

Even though we're only 2/3rds the way through the summer, I think I have to reconsider my previous ranking of the seasons. Here is the updated ranking:

1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Summer
4. Winter

Summer moved up! It's not the worst! This is HUGE for me. Summer in Maryland (or anywhere hot and humid) is pretty much unbearable. This is precisely why I didn't mind working full-time. However, having a pool membership truly has changed everything. (Almost everything--running in the heat and humidity is still the WORST.) The boys are learning and growing and being outside for way more hours than I could have handled without the pool. Chuck is enjoying teaching them (and others!) and being in the water. He even manages to get in some laps. And I am just jealous of all the time they get to be in the pool. When I do get to go (after work some days, Saturdays), even I am learning "real" swimming.

In addition to the pool, I decided to go easy on meal planning for the summer. We pretty much do the same thing every week. I don't want to heat the house, so baking is minimized. I don't want to spend lots of time over the stove, so long dishes are out. And because we sometimes swim until 6, these dinners have to be fast. So what have we been eating? Cold cut sandwiches, breakfast for dinner, tacos, quesadillas, burgers, other grilled things, and take-out pizza. It's been so easy. While it's not something I want to continue through the school year, I must admit I kinda love it.

And of course, the Scamp has changed summer. But I think I've talk enough about that.

P.S. Don't be fooled: I will not be sad when school resumes. But nor am I already looking forward to it. I'm in a happy summer place.

3 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad you are having a good summer! Who knew the pool would change your life? Awesome. :)

    Your dinner plans sound pretty swell, too.

    Have a fun birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your "go easy" meal planning looks an awful lot like my good old regular meal planning.

    Whatever works!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This just sounds so...peaceful and fun! What an awesome balance for summer. It's realistic and enjoyable. Win win!

    ReplyDelete