Monday, August 17, 2015

I Love Me When I Make These: The Best Dinner Rolls EVER

My friend Sharon introduced me to these bad boys last year. They now rank at the top of my "favorite foods that I make" list. I've tried other rolls but haven't been that successful. These, however, consistently are perfect for me. So I love them. Here's the recipe:

2 c. warm water
2/3 c. nonfat dry milk
2 T. yeast
1/4 c. sugar
2 t. salt
1/3 c. butter
1 egg
5 - 5.5 c. flour

In your mixer, combine water and dry milk. Stir until dissolved. Add yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg, and two cups flour. Mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then for two minutes on medium speed. Add two more cups of flour, and mix on low until ingredients are wet, and two minutes on medium speed. Add remaining flour, one-half cup at a time, until it pulls away from the bowl. Once combined, knead by hand or in your machine. Place dough in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.

Place dough on floured surface. Roll out dough into 18"x8" rectangle and brush with melted butter. Cut into eighteen 2"x4" portions and roll each up beginning with the short side (so that the butter is inside). Place rolls upon a greased baking sheet so they look like snails, not cinnamon rolls. Let rise in warm place until rolls are again doubled in size. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until browned. Brush with melted butter while still hot.

I do these on Sundays and do the first rise before church, shape them, put in fridge, pull out of fridge when I get home from church and finish rising until I go to bake them. They are heavenly.

2 comments:

  1. This makes me so hungry and yet also so sad because it seems like so many steps. To a non-baker this seems like so much work! (Call me lazy.) But I think... right? If I had a bread machine this would be less intensive? Please advise as I am seriously considering getting a bread machine.

    ReplyDelete