Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Candy Hierarchy

Last night as we talked each other to sleep, Chuck and I started discussing candy. I asserted that gummi bears (Chuck's favorite candy) didn't even make my top 20. It was a glib statement, and I thought that I should work on seeing if it's true. So here's the list:

1. Hot Tamales. Easy.
2. Runts. Pink and red are my favorites, with green being the yuckiest, albeit still-eaten. The bananas used to be just underneath pink and red, but lately they have been surpassed by orange. I really like them orange ones!
3. Candy Corns. Brach's Candy Corns. I'm eating some (and by "some," I mean an entire bag) right now.
4. Cherry heads. Fun Fact: Once I ate a fairly large-sized bag of these (during one of three trips to the theater to see Titanic) and ended up with a mouth full of canker sores. Totally worth it.
5. Sour watermelons. These, too, have been retired. Some of you will say, "Oh erin, I saw them the other day!" But you didn't; trust me. You saw a cheap imitation. A part of me died when I learned that.
6. Skittles. Eaten in the following order: green, yellow, orange, purple, red. And when I have six reds left, I have to eat one, and then two at once, and then ALL THREE AT ONCE for the grand finale.
7. Lik-m-Aid (aka "Fun Dip"). I eat all three pouches with one stick and eat the other stick all by itself.
8. Twist 'n' Fill Twizzlers. Sadly, these are no longer made. Another small piece of happiness gone.
9. Regular Twizzlers. Best. Beach. Snack. Ever.
10. Smarties. I'm trying to get over the delusion that the different colors have a different taste. My therapist is helping. Until then, pink and yellow get eaten last; green first.
11. Almond Joy. My favorite piece of chocolate.
12. Butterfinger. Second favorite piece of chocolate.
13. Starburst. Once Chuck went to Hershey Park and brought me a bag of only pink and reds. It was heaven.
14. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. The little, individually-wrapped ones only please.
15. Swedish fish. But only the red ones.
16. Jolly Ranchers. When I have a sore throat, I contend that these are just as good for me as stupid sore throat lozenges.
17. Airheads. I love the white mystery flavor!
18. Carmels. But not good carmels. Carmels that are perfect cubes and sold in bulk. I'm sure to candy purists I'm breaking some rule. But you can't help what you like.
19. Nerds. These are great in a Dairy Queen Blizzard. Trust me.
20. Cinnamon bears. I eat the head first, then the legs, finally the torso.

An honorable mention has to go to SweetTarts just because of the game played between my sister, my mom, and me. You wouldn't get it.

There. I did it. I was right. Not even in my top 20.

(And now you maybe you understand why I have to run.)

7 comments:

  1. So funny! I have completely different candy taste than you! I am a chocolate person thrugh and though. Reases Peices (I don't want to look up the spelling)...what I would do to a bag right now!

    I loved your tweet blog by the way! I was really eating lime flavored chips when I was reading it! (Funny, because I don't think I'll ever buy another kind!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're funny. i am way more a chocolate fan, though. also, i'm not the biggest fan of chewy candy - like swedish fish, sour watermelons, etc. but we can still definitely hang out: you get all the sugar candy and i'll get all the chocolate candy. perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not have come up with a top 20 list! I'm totally not a candy person...my poor kids are so deprived because I never think to purchase candy since I don't eat it. And I do not include chocolate or peanut butter in my candy category...those hold a very special place in my heart and are in a category all their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No need to do too much running-- most of your faves are of the fat-free non-chocolate variety. I think Smarties have like 20 calories a roll. You can send your chocolate my way-- I especially like the dark variety, Junior Mints, and Three Musketeers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Very interesting! I am quite surprised at the list! And very fascinating the order in which you eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. um, i'm pretty sure i heard a pixi stix crying somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried the "Sweets" candy corn taffy! Yum! I would also have to say I love Almond joy!

    ReplyDelete