Friday, January 8, 2010

Best Calling EVER

I had another crazy dream. In this one, I was back in college living in the dorms. One of my roommates was my dear friend, Camie (with whom I was never college roommates, but you know dreams). Our dorms were uber-cool metallic-y lofts. However, Camie and I felt quite out of place as we were easily 15 years old than the freshmen. Oh well, we thought. We'd enjoy laughing at the travails of the younger crowd.

When I went to church the first Sunday and was invited to speak with a member of the bishopric, I knew a calling was in my forecast. He asked me about my interest in music. Sensing a call to ward choir or something equally horrifying, I told him that while I enjoy music, I know nothing about it. Which is totally true--phew. I hate lying to bishopric members.

I could tell that he was struggling to find a place for me and didn't want me to be calling-free (which, of course, would have been totally fine with me). But then he said these magic words, "The only thing we have left is the barometer reader." WHAT the WHAT!? Uh, hello!? It's geography (close enough) and math (measurement) and something totally un-churchy. It was perfect for me! I couldn't believe my luck.

Of course I woke up to my awake-life calling, which is totally fine. It did get me thinking about what my favorite calling would be, though. I think I'd make a great ward statistician (I've heard reports of some wards having them). But since that doesn't feel real enough, I'd love to be the finance clerk. Alas, while that calling is real, it's a male-only one. Sigh. And I'm not exactly sure what my church status would be were I to turn myself into a male, thus making the gender-reassignment surgery pointless.
And just in case you were wondering, the current barometric pressure is at 30.24 (768 mm) and rising.

1 comment:

  1. ha, so funny. barometer reader? where do we come up with this stuff in our dreams?! i love it.

    ReplyDelete