Monday, January 25, 2010

Freezer Paper Stencil Tutorial

I know that there are many, many tutorials out there for this type of thing, most of which better written and better photographed. But my dear sister-in-law Linda seemed to not believe them. I want to show her that not only can I do them without making a mess, but so can her brother!

Step 1: Find an image you like. Trace it onto freezer paper. As long as you put the waxy side down when tracing, there is no need to reverse the image. (And since you can only trace onto the non-waxy side, this is a no-brainer.) You can do a Google images search and narrow the search by black and white, or even outline. Freezer paper should be findable in most grocery stores; if not there, check your mother-in-law's house (that's where I get mine, but not because I can't find it in stores, only because I'm lazy).

Step 2: Cut out the pieces that you want to be painted onto the shirt. I used an X-acto knife and it was easy, tho maybe a bit time-consuming. Make sure you put something underneath your knife since it will cut your kitchen table! (Thankfully I didn't learn this the hard way.) Also, if you ever want to use the cut-outs and do a negative-style job (see here for an example), then make sure you only cut on your lines.


Step 3: Iron the stencil onto the shirt. Do this by putting the waxy-side on the shirt, covering with a pressing cloth, and then ironing. I do mine with the cotton setting and spend about 30 seconds pressing. And then because I am a freak and I get nervous, I take off the pressing cloth and just iron directly onto the freezer paper! Whoa--living on the edge. But not for too long.

Step 3 1/2: Insert some cardboard between the layers of shirt. If not, paint might bleed in the next step. I found cereal boxes work great.

Step 4: Paint! I bought my fabric paints at Michael's and they were about $1.75. Make sure they say "fabric paint." (At my store, these paints were by the t-shirts, not with the regular acrylic paints.) And feel free to paint onto the freezer paper. If you want to do two coats, read the bottle's instructions on how long before it's dry and ready for that second coat.

See how messy we were! This is about as messy as this project gets. (See the name stencils in the background?)


Step 5: After drying (again, look at the bottle for an estimate on time), peel off the stencil. It should come off fairly easily.


Voila! Isn't it great?! The lines are so sharp and stay that way after washing!


Step 6: If your design requires more than one color, wait until the first color is dry before applying the next stencil. But don't worry: the stencil will iron on top of the paint, no problem. It will then peel off fine too, without taking paint 1 with it. (You didn't think we were making shirts that encourage puking, did you?!) And then repeat the whole process.


Your final project will be, no doubt, equally as great as this! (Seriously, how great is this shirt for running a race in which we run two miles, eat a dozen donuts, and then run the two miles back?! It's perfect!)


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial...much like Linda, I did not really believe how easy it is. But if Chuck can do it so can I---and I shall! I'm starting my image search right now! Hey, maybe I'll make Al some workshirts with his logo and business name. I'm already seeing endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--so I can do this. Next question...how well do they wash?

    And I laughed thinking this was going to be a shirt for Evan since he pukes over the side of his bed so much. He he. Love em! And seriously thanks for the tutorial. This is the first one that actually made sense for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i should have emphasized that info, linda. they wash AMAZINGLY! we've washed the turkey race shirts ten times and they look as if we applied the stencil the day before. seriously, i'm shocked.

    the work shirts would be awesome, amanda. if i remember correctly, there are a couple of colors in his logo, but it should be fine!

    and remember, you can't reuse a stencil. if you want it twice, then you have to cut it twice. i bet using scrapbook paper punches would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! I can't wait to try this. Now I just need to think of some fun ideas for my kids...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really???? Eating the doughnuts is PART of the race???? I LOVE it!!!! I hope they are krispy kreme!!! ;) AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as always you are so clever with the crafts! i'm thinking of the things i can make. also great to put on a onesie as a custom baby gift. thanks erinini!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive tute! I'm glad Chuck was even involved...I don't think Justin will ever let himself be involved in anything resembling a "craft"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm, I know someone asked if they were KK doughnuts and that triggered a thought, are you doing to KK Challenge in Raleigh? I went to college one block from the KK that you run to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That race sounds like the best thing ever- and those shirts?! Amazing.

    Thanks for the tutorial. I gotta think to make something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, amanda, it's the KK challenge in raleigh. we considered doing some serious training for this race, but then decided against it. i don't think my body could take weeks of that many donuts. (so yes, natalie, they will be krispy kreme donuts.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. syd said, "that's funny mama!"

    love the shirts, they turned out great. um, so by freezer paper do you mean wax or parchment paper? or do you specifically find a product that says freezer paper? i only ask because i've never heard of it before. let me know, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's called "freezer paper." parchment paper doesn't have any wax (i think), so it wouldn't stick, and waxed paper is waxy on both sides, meaning it would get stuck to your iron! it is in the section with the foil, parchment, etc. and is not crazy expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome thanks!! oh and sort of ironic...one side says "chuck" and the other side is indicating "no up-chucking" ha ha ha. really though, they are great! i think i may do something like this for van's b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO COOL! I can't wait! I'm sending you the designs I like, now. They are pretty simple--a good start for me. :)

    ReplyDelete