Friday, December 3, 2010

My Run-In (or Under?) with Borf

So, let's pretend you're on your way to work. This commute requires that you park your car at a what-can-be-scary Metro stop and then walk to the Metro. The walk includes a short walkway bridge, followed by a descent in a stairwell, then another walk outside before getting to the station. Let's say that while in the bridge you smell paint. Fresh paint. But you're messing with ill-placed keys on your key ring, so you don't notice much.

As you near the stairwell, however, you hear the distinct sound of a spray paint can. (You also see freshly painted green stuff in the upper level of the stairwell.) You soon realize that the spray painting is going on, right then, in the lower level of the stairwell. By someone definitely NOT hired by Metro. What do you do?

If you didn't catch it, this is what happened to me yesterday as I went to work.

My first thought? "Don't look at him/her. Keep your eyes on the key ring. Don't. Look. Up." So I didn't. As the offender was straddling the stairs (feet on the railings while hands on the wall, I think...remember my eyes were down), I had to walk directly beneath him/her! Eek! How easy it would have been for him/her to drop on me or, worse, paint me! (It was a really unattractive green. Yuck. Kidding.) But once I made it through okay and was safely in the Metro station, I reported the offender to the station manager, who actually appeared like she was going to do something about it.

I don't know why it shook me so much, but it did. The best part was later during my commute home, I got to see what was written: "Be SAVED!" with a bunch of stars of David. Awesome. I was probably safer than I thought.

P.S. If you don't know this Borf of which I speak, take a second and read this. If you do know, that just means you have spent too much time on D.C.'s Metro system.

P.P.S. I had to share this. Rhett is in charge is designating spots for the advent calendar. He put Day 2's ornament next to Day 1's bell because, "I didn't want the bell to be lonely." Can't wait to see where everything else goes. Oh this child of mine.

1 comment:

  1. The advent calendar is darling!! And I'm sure your guys are missing you! I'm looking for a soup to bring to a party...i'm gonna check out the foodees. If there's anything you recommend, let me know!!

    ReplyDelete