Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day!

I don't think there was ever a time when I was embarrassed by my math skills. I never pretended to be dumb to impress boys because really, outside of math, I don't know much. But with math, well, let's just say I can calculate a tip or a sales price like that! (Yep, that fast; I'm already done.)

So it was really exciting to have a husband who can follow and even mirror my math logic. In fact, this is one of the first things that I found attractive in him. So it shouldn't be any surprise that we celebrate Pi Day around these here parts.

Remember, pi is approximately 3.14159... (click here for more digits), hence the reason today (3/14) is Pi Day. We celebrated it last year with Becky's Amish Oatmeal Pie (which was totally yummy and totally different, by the way). This year I wanted easy and I wanted ice cream, so we're eating the oreo pie. I think it will make everyone happy. Especially when we have leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

Anyone else getting their pi on today?

P.S. I made these Saturday/Sunday, because, you know, we need more treats in our house right now. They're pretty labor-intensive but so worth the effort. Now I need some good coconut-heavy dessert recipes. Anyone have any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. You should watch "Brainman" on youtube for Pi day. It's about a savant who sees numbers as shapes and colors and memorized pi out to 22,500 places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang, you should have told me earlier. :) i can't make pie today because we have way too many brownies to finish off before i make another treat. dang again. but maybe next year we'll do it! i love it. and we'll do it in honor of the hubands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha You are a nerd! But happy Pi day. I am glad that now I am aware of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think making a pie is nerdy, this is the activity that I did with my students today. http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Pi-by-Throwing-Frozen-Hot-Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had pie, but we also ate tacos....round tortillas!!! We read "Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi" in honor of the day, too.

    You guys may enjoy the Sir Cumference books...they're all math based stories by Cindy Neuschwander and put out by scholastic. If you would like to come browse our math shelf, I have quite a few math story books for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my local non chain grocery store celebrated the day by offering pumpkin pies for $5!!

    ReplyDelete