Friday, March 25, 2011

Rhett's Birthday Part 3: The Homemade Gifts

The birthday shirt. Given the boy's obsession with street signs, I knew that's what we had to do. I used his favorite signs (no parking, deer crossing, stay to the right of the median) and a couple others. The back of the shirt has dinosaurs because he wanted those too. You know, because the themes totally match. I'm thinking I'm really going to have to make him a "buggy crossing" sign shirt now.




Celebratory garland cut from Dr. Seuss books obtained at the thrift store. Idea from the super cute Kate at mini-eco. It was my first time using my sewing machine to sew paper.


The cute fish. I wish I could find where I found this originally, but no such luck. I think he's really going to enjoy these.


This one's obviously not for Rhett, but for baby Betamax. There are only a couple of things we need, and this is one of the things I want. I bought the flannel ages ago, but wanted to find a non-blanket use for it. It's perfect. I love the bugs. I followed a tutorial over at the fun oopsey daisy. Thanks to Alison and her guest poster Heather!


And then there's this one. Sigh. Last fall Chuck participated in a fantasy football league with some friends from church. He won! What did he win? Tons of money? Fame? None of those. Rather, this silly plaque with his team's name (excuse the hint of vulgarity). What do I have to do with it? Chuck wanted it personalized a bit so I cut out the Redskins vinyl sticker with my Silhouette and put it on the plaque. How much must I love Chuck if this thing is actually displayed in our house?!


This is not a crafting project...yet. But I got this maternity dress and like it, but don't love it. I think it needs something more. But what? Applique? Yo-yos? Fabric flowers? Ruffles? What?!  Please hurry. This belly is getting bigger by the second.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE it, the birthday, all the handmade spoils, the car seat cover for the new little guy. A trip to Amish country and Hershey world, AWESOME......love the fact that he wished himself a "Happy Birthday" in deadpan. ;) HILARIOUS. As for what to do with the dress??? I'll leave that to the crafters who read. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute stuff! I am thiiiiiis close to buying a Silhouette with my allotted tax return "Holly Spending Account". My only fear is that I'll use it a few times and then it will sit on my shelf. But there seems to be no end to what you can do with it. I'm mostly interesting in the vinyl sticky lettering and embellishments. and cardstock lettering for Primary bulletin boards and other such stuff. hmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete