Friday, July 8, 2011

Halfway Through the Summer

Well halfway for us. Today I complete three of the six full-time work weeks that I'll do this summer before he-who-should-be-named-but-isn't arrives. And how is it going?

1. I need to be easier on Chuck. Yes, sometimes he doesn't think, but it takes time to get in the stay-at-home groove. He does a great job. And besides, he's doing a job I really just can't do right now so I should stop criticizing.

2. Sitting at my desk for 8.5 hours isn't horrible, as long as I remember to get up and walk around a couple of times during the day. Sure beats those 10.5-hour days.

3. I am sad that I have to miss summer things. My sister emily is busy doing these fun "summer merit badges" and I would have LOVED to do them with Rhett, but just can't. Maybe I'll at least make Chuck do them next summer.

4. Working from home is hard because I just want to be playing with Rhett, but can't because I am working. I really could not do it without Chuck being around. Of course my "playing" this summer is limited, but still.

5. I'm feeling a bit better. I think week 34 was really hard because it felt too early to feel so bad. But now that I'm 36 weeks, something in my brain says that it's okay to feel so icky. (And for the record: I do feel icky still. Both hands are now sporting braces. Do pro bowlers ever wear them on both hands? But I did find some cute maternity shirts at Target that actually cover my belly therefore making me feel better!)

6. Working full-time and then coming home and having to parent is HARD. With these shorter days, I'm home by 4 p.m. (compared to 6 p.m. with the part-time schedule). That's three hours with Rhett, that while I cherish, totally exhaust me. How do other working parents do it?!

7. Really, it's only six weeks this summer, with only three remaining. I can do it, right?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my- you are on the home stretch! I can't believe how soon you are having a baby and I can't wait to hear the name choice!
    Your reward will be that precious little baby and an east coast fall- is there anything better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, you're doing great! I give Al a hard time about not doing things the way I would. I have to remind myself that I need to just be grateful he's doing it :) I'm too much of a controller!

    Don't kid yourself, it IS summer in MD you don't want to be doing "summer things" because even the most fun things are miserable in the summer!

    I don't know how working parents do it, either. I was just talking to Laura Ransom about this last night. She said working is her way of getting a break, but the switching roles part is what I find exhausting. At least I only have to be one person day in and day out :)

    ReplyDelete