Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Least Exciting July 4th Ever

At one point we thought we would spend the 4th at a state park enjoying the lake; but when we found out you need to be there be 7 a.m. just to get parking, we thought again. So what did we do? Not much. Trips to Target and Safeway. Lunch. Nap time trip to a fabric store for me, which proved to be a bust. Afternoon trip to Chuck's parents' house to enjoy their backyard pool, but also to endure the mosquitoes. (I think I forgot to mention them in my "Maryland Summers Suck" post. But yes, another downside to a Maryland summer--BUGS and lots of them.) Then we went home and had dinner, which wasn't even done on the grill (although Sunday's steak and corn were). We watched the fireworks on T.V.:  much better seating and no Metro crowds to fight!

The three redeeming points of the holiday were:
1. That I was off and able to spend the day with my boys.
2. We ate homemade raspberry ice cream. Which, unfortunately is a bit sour for the boys, but fortunately, is a bit sour for the boys (which means I get it all to myself!). Next time I'll make sure there's some chocolate in it for Rhett.
3. I organized my craft closet. Oh my. It's lovely. I keep wanting to reopen the door just to look at it again and again. This means that almost all of the closets in my "sewing nook" have been reorganized, except for one. That one contains a bunch of my clothes that I won't bother touching until I can wear them again.

I am blaming my lack of holiday spirit on the 5-pound fetus growing inside me, that and the heat and humidity. Next year we vow to get Rhett to see fireworks.

3 comments:

  1. aw, i'm sorry it was a bummer of a day. not a total bummer, though, right? but some days are definitely just. . . blah. especially when you are pregnant in a hot, humid, and buggy summer. so sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you had some strong redeeming points, so don't feel ashamed. Revel in those 3 and I think you'll realize that that makes for a perfect holiday, especially for you with the craft closet.

    We went to bed at 8:30pm. Marc was post-heat exhaustion and I had flu-like symptoms with the mastitis that I have now. So, your day may have been calm but like you said, you spent it with your boys! And didn't over-exhaust yourself, requiring 3 days to recover! Brilliant approach to the day I say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of anything more patriotic than shopping at Target! I'm going to go into retail shock when I go to one this summer. Oh it will be blissful.

    ReplyDelete