Monday, July 11, 2011

Keepin' Busy (oh no, not me, my parents)

When Rhett was born, I knew I was going to be a mess...and I was. I really didn't see having my parents there right away to witness this, so instead they showed up six weeks later. By that time, I was feeling better and they got to enjoy a more-alert baby and attend his blessing. It was the right decision for us.

Things are different now. Before, I didn't have another child running around; now I do. Because of this, I see the immediacy of extra helping hands. Fortunately, I have a husband who will be home for the first couple of weeks after Betamax joins us before he even has to go to work. But you better believe that as soon as Chuck returns to the classroom, my parents are coming to help with the new baby.

What should I have them do? I mean, sure, they can hold the baby and look at the baby, but really, they're not baby people...hmm...I wonder where I get this?! (Note: This just means I can't pass off the baby all day, not that they don't love their grandchildren as babies, because they do.) Here are my ideas for ways to use my parents:
1. Play with Rhett.
2. Grocery shop and make meals (both regular and ones to be frozen for later).
3. Take off the wallpaper from the goon room walls and then repaint.
4. Chores.

My dad will be content to sit and take in all the scenery. But my mom is a woman who likes to stay busy so I'm not sure this is enough. What tasks am I missing? What did you find most helpful from extra hands right after you gave birth?

7 comments:

  1. let her do all your spring cleaning. . . unless you already did that in the springtime. if so, you're ahead of me (which i think you probably are :)

    wallpaper is good as that will take a while.

    have her make a bunch of freezer meals. did you ever make those? that would be fun.

    but, really, i think they'll be busy enough with 1, 2, 3, and 4 - don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with spring cleaning - we're talking the heavy cleaning (okay, actually maybe YOUR house doesn't need it)... you know the little things. Have her wipe down all your doorknobs and light switches, scrub the tub, clean the oven and refrigerator, mop (well, you know, not mop, but the more effective means) the floor, clean your porch, wipe down outside toys, vaccuum your cars, give your dog a bath or two...

    No chore too small, I say! Ask my parents. I put them to work on EVERYTHING. And they excel at it. They are amazing.

    But I think your list #1-4 are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it when my mom takes the older ones OUT of the house. Take them to the park, to a movie, to the grocery store...just anywhere b/c they need it and so do you. That first born will want some major attention and who better to give it to them than grandma. Then when they leave...watch out! ;0) I think I cried for two days after my mom left after I had my second. It really is so much fun having two boys close in age. My boys are best friends(now)..give it about a year and the younger one can run around and it will be the best! Good luck, what a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking care of Axton was the best thing my mom did when Elodie was born. It kept her pretty busy. I could enjoy nursing in bed and cuddling with Elodie while my mom was reading to Axton, getting him breakfast, and getting him dressed, etc.It gave me a little more time to rest and enjoy Elodie (which is much harder to do with #2).

    Really take it slow though Erin. I found the recovery from #2 to be much easier so I tried doing too much too soon. Just take it slow. Before you know it you will be on your own with both kids and doing it all. For me, month 3 and 4 were the hardest because the "high" of having a new baby was over and I realized that it was really hard work. Miraculously, month 5 and 6 were sooooo much better and I felt like I could handle it. Give yourself a lot of time to learn and figure out all the new routines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom insisted on sorting through the baby clothes even though I had already done so. Might be a good thing for her to do.

    Also, I don't know if Rhett will have jealousy issues like Traci did, but my parents helped a lot with discipline when I was nursing and stuff. For me the first month was hard, but now things have fallen into place and seem normal. Babies seem pretty chill compared to their toddler counterparts.

    Oh yeah, and there should be enough laundry to keep everyone busy! Don't worry. Your mom will have stuff to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laundry! I guess that was listed here. You take a nap while they entertain baby and Rhett! Make sure you get some of those in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um YES, have them come PRONTO......you'll be AMAZED I'm sure, and just another set of hands, and an adult around to talk too is HUGE, if nothing else gets done, but I know them better, it will. ;)

    GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete