Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pregnancy, Oh, Pregnancy

I'm at the stage now where I just don't want to leave the house: not for work, not for church, not for fun. I know I'm big. I know. Yes, I'm worried the doctor missed a gestational diabetes diagnosis. Yes, I'm worried something is wrong with my fluid levels. Yes, I'm worried that I really have twins in there. (Well, that's more Chuck's worry, but still.) Even if none of that's true, I'm worried I just have a big baby in there. (Okay, but let's get real: I'm not going to have a baby this big, am I? Seriously, check out the link. NOW.) Fortunately I'm having another ultrasound on Friday. Unfortunately it won't make me smaller.

I repeat: I know I'm big. But it's still upsetting to have to hear it over and over and over again. Said the woman walking by me on the way to the metro, "[DANG]*! When's that baby due?" Said I as I kept walking, "Oh still four weeks away." Said the walking woman, "Seriously? You're HUGE!" Thank you. Thank you woman I've never met nor do I want to meet, for telling me this heretofore unknown fact. *Edited for language.

Also, everyone seems to love to say any version of "Any day now!" or "Looks like you're ready to pop!" Both of which are not helpful when I still have three weeks. Instead, these comments make me embarrassed and self-conscious when I have to explain that I still have three weeks to go. My sister said I should make a t-shirt that says, "I know I'm huge. SHUT IT." I might have to do that.

Even my feet are wide. I usually have pretty wide feet (thanks to a father with quintuple-E width shoes, or something thereabouts). But now? Dang. They're like full rectangles. I'm down to one pair of flip flops. It's pretty professional at work, believe me.

One last thing: I just checked when the next full moon is, and sadly it's this Friday, the 15th. I'm afraid that's just too early to push my body into an early labor. Sigh.

Yes, I wish I could be more positive for the sakes of all around me. Yes, I wish I could have a more eternal perspective about the pain I'm in. Yes, I wish I could just lie about it and tell everyone I'm doing great. Yes, I understand that so many women can't get pregnant so I should be grateful. Yes, I understand that so many have/had/will have it so much harder than I. But I can't think of that now.


Before you stop reading and never come back, the next three posts (and maybe more!) have nothing to do with me complaining. Lucky you!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry that pregnancy sucks in the summer!

    Market the SHUT IT shirt. You'd make some $. Or, "I know my belly looks huge. But it looks like your mouth is big enough to insert your foot."

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT THE IDIOTS!?!?!? People are so dumb, Erin. YOU look amazing and beautiful! Just saying! I love you! People have been saying that to me since living in Rockville. It's like, yes. I am big. But guess what. I have a HUMAN LIVING IN ME.

    You should totally make that shirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, you are definitely not huge. big, yes. not huge. but come on, you are like 5'2 or something! seriously, where else is that baby suppose to go but out.

    and honestly the nerve and idiocy of people - really, do they literally have no common sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, I want to run into you and say,"wow! you're huge!". My sister was rather large with her third and the baby was normal sized she just seemed to have a lot of water in there with her. My sis lost 20lbs the day she had the baby. It was crazy-cool. Maybe that will happen for you. Aren't I encouraging?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang people. They can be so smart sometimes. And coming from women is the crazy thing-um duh? Apparently they are those without kids.

    I say make the shirt! I remember a girl I worked with when I was prego with Molly would say things like that. But she was just ignorant. I love how they make comments and you think, it's not like I don't look at a mirror every day people!!! Arrrgggg. Hang tight, you'll be there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel your pain literally! I think we are due about the same time and judging from the picture you are no more HUGE than me and I am taller than you. A lady at church told be that I had too much belly for my shirt! Yes, I already knew that my shirt was a little tight in the belly area but all my shirts are at this point and I am not about to go buy new clothes three weeks before my due date. Hang in there! (At least that is what I keep telling myself) Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh don't you wish you could say whatever you wanted sometimes, maybe you do, but I don't, I have a filter, and so I don't say things that are inappropriate to say....HELLO, people are IDIOTS, it's so disheartening in and already disheartening situation. Pregnant is not fat, not huge, or anything else, it's merely that, pregnant. Next time just say, yeah, well at least my face isn't ugly that lasts forever. I'm SORRY. Or yes, wear the shirt!!!!!!

    Remember like you said, it's all worth it, really it is. :) Can't wait to see the little he who shall not be named, YET.

    ReplyDelete