Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Things You Swore You'd Never Wear

I don't get Tom's shoes. Before you feel like I'm attacking you--don't go. I'm not saying I dislike them or find them hideous. But they're a simple loafer, right? Then why all the hype? It reminds me of how I initially felt about Birkenstocks. The first time I saw Birkenstocks I thought they were hideous. Absolutely hideous. I swore I would never, ever wear them. But guess what? I did. I loved them. So maybe some day I'll wear a pair of Tom's.

It got me thinking: what else, fashion-wise, have I sworn I'd never wear, but now find myself wearing?

Here's one I remember: I swore I'd never marry anyone who wears "little socks." (This is what I called them in college. I now know they're called "ankle socks.") Guess what? Not only did I marry an ankle-sock wearer, but I wear them too. Just for running, but still: I wear them. Somewhere, 20-year-old-me is feeling all nails-on-a-chalkboard-ish because of this.

P.S. Hmmm...You know, these aren't terrible. And these look like great little-kid shoes. But these? Uh, seriously? Are these like shoes from the future? (Please watch the video.) I will never wear these shoes.

P.P.S. "Hahahaha. Sure you won't," says me of the future.

7 comments:

  1. Mwhahahaha! I love the things you think of. Your mind is just amazing.

    I'm SO with you! TOMS aren't ugly or anything, but I also don't get the hype. Why are they such a rage? I may well wear them someday too, but until then, I just don't get it and am not seeking after it.

    Also, the cord Toms are so adorable. And the boots!? So funny! I like the idea because then the calf of my boot would definitely fit my calf! But they still are kind of ridiculous. It's a bandage, glorified, but truly, just an ace bandage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never even heard of TOMS before. crazy.

    i thought the same things as nathalia: the boots would at least fit our calves! but they are hilarious - in a bad way, pretty much. who knows, though, maybe i'll end up getting a pair one day. seriously doubt it, but ya never know. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know what to get you for Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think TOMS are hideous. The prices are ridiculous. And $30 for a kid's pair? I don't even spend that on shoes for myself. I realize some of the money goes to charity, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE my TOMS.......just saying......;)

    AND......LOVE the pumpkin old men without dentures, that is EXACTLY what they look like.

    I might need to get the sweet potato recipe from you too, amongst the others listed....... ;)

    AHHH...I am just NOW remembering I was going to get you some postcards, I TOTALLY forgot, my bad. SORRY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I thought the same thing about Toms. But I do own some! But my dad got them in China if that helps anything?

    I also thought Uggs were just that...ugly! But I have some of those too. I don't know if it's just around long enough that you talk yourself into thinking they look fine or what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get Toms either. I mean sure they are cute but I definitely don't get what all the hype is. And those last ones are WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete