Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm Still Learning

Isn't it amazing that I can be 32 years old and still learning new things about me? I mean, really, I thought I was done when I was 15 because really, I knew everything then.

Anyway, I recently returned from a work trip to San Antonio, Texas. It was the first time that, as an adult, I went beyond a Texan airport. I really liked this town. I stayed right on the beautiful riverwalk (that's my hotel on the right) which meant I got to take some lovely morning runs. I explored a lot of the city and enjoyed getting to know it a little bit.

Here is the Alamo, which was only a couple of blocks from the hotel. It was much cooler at night, but without a steady hand, my camera does not do dark well.

See? This is what happens in the dark. Although in this case, it kinda works.

Okay. So what did I learn? I learned that after all these years of thinking I am not shy, well, turns out that I am. I do NOT like being in places where I know no one and am not good at engaging people in more than blah conversations.

This is a problem at a work conference because networking should be a big part of my trip. But rather than go out to lunch and dinner with colleagues, I'd much rather buy some cold cereal and milk (for lunches in the room while watching cable) and eat a quick dinner alone. And really, this is what I do best. I am really good at being alone. Even at 5'1", I can use more king sized bed than most people. Mind you, I still get out, but I do it alone.

Had I spent too much time outside of my hotel room, I might not have figured out that my trouser socks stick to the wall! Think of the horror of going through life not knowing this?! I am shuddering now even as I type. The Horror.

3 comments:

  1. Ohh your trip sounds heavenly! We had friends who lived in San Antonio and they said it had a really cool art scene. I would love to visit there sometime! I'm like you though- I love to be alone. Most times when I am out at night I secretly wish I were home watching a movie on my couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a good thing we can always learn. :) especially the important things in life like if our socks (or underwear) will stick on things.

    LOVE the pictures! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that place looks fantastic. did you get the tour of the basement? love the socks too.

    ReplyDelete