Monday, November 22, 2010

Weekend Projects

Ever since I've had more desire to start "crafting" with Rhett, I knew that I'd need a good tablecloth to protect my lovely table. I'd been using a crappy plastic tablecloth that moves and slides--it was not working for me. So what to do? I wanted to do one with laminated cottons, but dang, they can be expensive. Next best thing? Plastic-coated fabric from Ikea! I saw this tutorial at Smashed Peas and Carrots and knew it would be perfect. Bring on the mess! P.S. If you can sew straight lines, you can do this. Or, if you can staple, you can do this.


While planning for last week's Joy School lesson on Thanksgiving, I ran across this page. I really wanted to do the Sweatshirt Turkey with the kids, but had a couple of reservations. (1) The six kids are two years old. And (2) See No. 1. So we did the turkey hats instead. BUT I knew I could handle the paint with Rhett. I thought I'd like it a bit more lasting, so instead of doing it on a shirt, I did it on artist canvas. The whole project was super cheap and easy. I love it. Rhett's laughing because it tickled. (And look at me using that tablecloth immediately. Already worth it.)








This is the first of Rhett's Christmas presents. I want to get Rhett a nice play kitchen. But I really dislike the plastic ones (Call me a snob; I can take it.), and really, where would it go? When I saw this, I was inspired. We have a stool in our kitchen already (remember, I'm only 5'1"--a stool is a necessity) so I made it to cover that stool. This way, it takes up no more space than is already in use, and Rhett can be using it in the kitchen when I'm doing my stuff. I think a chef's hat and apron are in his future.  (I have not yet decided how to do the oven knobs, which is why you don't see them.)






In addition to the crafting, I did some cooking. We ate this pumpkin ice cream (sans bourbon, of course), these pumpkin rolls, and chili. Bring it FALL.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for you lovely lines on my blog. This is play stove turned out so gorgeous - and I love the colours!

    Would you mind sending me some photos at frokenskicklig[at]gmail[dot]com once you have finished it? I would love to write an extra blogposts about the fabric play stoves with photos taken by readers who felt inspired by the tutorial. If you have a flickr account, you could also add them to the Fröken Skicklig Chronicle Pool...

    Warmly,

    Juliane

    ReplyDelete
  2. the tablecloth is great! so do you just put it up when it's "craft time"? i really love it. and i love the turkey idea. i really want to do it with my kids, but not sure i'll get time before thanksgiving. and i don't know what i'd do it on? i could just do paper, but that wouldn't last too long. anyways, rhett's turned out adorable.

    and the stove!!!! YEA, you did a fabulous job! it's awesome. perfect. i totally love it. super, super cute. do you have pots and pans for him? totally fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK LOVE the stove! I have been thinking about getting a kitchen set for TJ, but I hate plastic crap. What a clever way to make one without having it take up so much space!

    Also, I think I might be ready to start Monday jogs again, although I probably am REALLY out of shape. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can STAPLE, I'm totally in then on the first, as for the second idea, LOVE it. So great. What a lucky little guy---who is also simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute projects!! And I loved the previous post! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your turkey-on-canvas idea. I would run out and have my kids do this today. . . if I weren't hosting T-giving and then moving to another state. Anyway, I've written it down to remind myself to do this next year. 15 years from now the kids will be embarrassed when every Thanksgiving Mom is still whipping out the turkeys they made when they were toddlers, but they'll love it at the same time. ;) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome-ness! can I say how much I'd love to stylishly cover my "kid-antiqued" table? It's a big square though...

    and i'd love to toss out the big plastic pink barbie kitchen that found its way to our house. though the sound of clicking turning knobs really excites my almost toddler baby. wonder how you could add clicky knobs to the fabric.... grommets?

    ReplyDelete