Wednesday, May 30, 2012

More Pinterest Eating

Even though my boys would be happy with the same seven meals every week, I am not. And since I'm the one doing all of the the planning and most of the shopping and cooking, I get to choose. So even though we do the same things most of the time, I like to switch it up a bit. Here are some of the things I've been pinning and then eating:

Fruit Salsa. So good. Especially when served with those tortilla cinnamon chips.

Bacon chicken. Awesome. Even Chuck's dad, who is not the biggest fan of chicken, enjoyed it. And really, you're only using a slice or so of bacon per serving, so it's not that bad for you. We're doing it again tonight AND serving it to people, so you know it must be good (or it might be that we really dislike our guests).

Jalapeno Turkey Burgers. We always eat turkey burgers, and I feel (for some unknown reason) that they should be given some extra oomph in flavor. (It should be noted that Chuck does not share this feeling. Next time we do burgers, they will be left as is; I promise Charlie.) These were okay. I didn't feel like I could taste anything but the jalapenos and I wanted more flavor. I believe, however, that my sister really enjoyed these. So final rating: one thumb up and one sideways thumb.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas. Seriously so good. I think I'm the only one who really liked them, but man, I really really liked them. It just means leftovers for lunches for me.

Sweet and Sour Chicken. Again, another winner. I was doubtful that the sauce would thicken even with all that cornstarch, but thicken it did. We didn't bother with chicken fried rice, but did regular rice instead. This is totally fine with me since I like to pour the sweet and sour sauce on my rice. Chuck, Ollie, and I liked this very much. Rhett...well, take a guess. ("Mom, I only kinda like it. Can I have something else for dinner? Something sweet?" ARGH.)

Overnight Oatmeal. I love oatmeal and love the idea of having it ready as soon as I wake up. But I definitely did NOT love this oatmeal. I didn't even like this oatmeal. Chuck had to choke it down. Not good.

White Wheat Rolls. I'm trying these for the first time tonight. Because they're endorsed by King Arthur, I have high hopes.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Yes I'm promoting this again. If you haven't tried it, I beg you. If you're in Maryland I'll even let you borrow my ice cream maker just so you can try this. It'll change your evening. I promise.

What am I missing that you've tried and recommend?

2 comments:

  1. huh, looks like we have some different tastes. . .

    ben and i both really loved the burgers. did you do it with the sauce it suggested? because they definitely are not a mustard/ketchup type of burger.

    also, we did the oatmeal thing and my whole family really liked it! maybe cuz you were thinking "oatmeal." it's more a muesli thing - not sure though if that would make a difference. i pour some milk over mine, i don't think ben does. anyways, we'll totally make it again.

    i'll have to try the others - like bacon chicken, the thai thing, etc. we did do the mint ice cream last year and it was definitely a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on the oatmeal. I was going to try that but now I'll skip it.
    I guess I need to get an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete