Thursday, January 17, 2019

Snow Day!

Before the weekend even started, we knew a storm was on its way, with predictions in the 3"-6" range. Saturday night (which gave us time to run and do stuff out of the house that day) the snow started falling and Sunday morning we woke up to about 6" and cancelled church. All day Sunday we had more light snow, but around 4:00 it started back up to accumulating snow. This meant a snow day for Monday as well. We ended up with around 10", the most we've had in three years. Here's how we spent the two days:

Sunday
Too early: wake up
Morning: sled (but not really because the snow wouldn't allow it), play at playground in the snow
Lunch: screens while I bake bread and cookies
Afternoon: build snow cave, snowshoe to a friend's house (carrying one "bread baby" in my jacket), see a snake on the snow and a cave made by bent bamboo
Evening: eat dinner while watching a movie and enjoying a fire

Monday
Too early: wake up
Morning: sled for real, even try snowboarding
Lunch: movie
Afternoon: back to the snow hill for more sledding, home for some screen time with a friend
Evening: eat dinner while watching a show and enjoying a fire

Notes on the two days: I'm tired. My shoulders and back hurt. Plus, I'm exhausted from having all of us in the house without leaving for more than 48 hours. We have three-day weekends for the next two weeks, but I imagine they'll be better just because we'll be able to get out. Also, even with all the work in the snow, my boys never once slept in. What is wrong with them?! Also, when I was about my boys' age, we got a snowstorm that cancelled SEVEN days of school. How did my mom survive?! Certainly my dad had to work (unlike my own husband), and she was home with four kids. I would die. BUT for our two days, I think I did okay. I (mostly) held it together, only losing it during a pancake fight and when Ollie wouldn't stop whining while snowshoeing. For the most part, however, they did great. Every year their endurance gets better and we had zero complaints about wet or cold. Amazing! Having decent gear makes such a difference. Oh, we love our two sleds. The boys really have such a fun time on them. Finally, we were all happy to have a two-hour delay Tuesday morning.



















P.S. Here are the FIVE posts I did in 2016 about the snow! I had forgotten how traumatizing it was. Hahaha. Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

1 comment:

  1. 10 inches - awesome! Sounds like an overall good snow-day for you all. Minus the whining and pancake fight. I want to hear more about that - like where actual pancakes thrown?! :)

    Yes, that was a glorious snow-storm we had back in the day. Mom probably just kicked us out and made us play outside all day long with our neighborhood friends, b/c that's what we did way back when. Those were the good ol' days. Of course she took us sledding (dad, too) as we have it on video tape. Whenever the opportunity arises to bring up my awesomeness of not carrying up the sled, Ben never misses the chance. :)

    What a fun sledding hill! Do you guys still use your tube?

    ReplyDelete