Monday, April 12, 2010

Books-A-Billion

Every day at our house we experience a book explosion. It doesn't matter that as soon as Rhett goes to bed, all of the books are returned to a bookshelf in the family room. Twenty-three hours and forty-five minutes later, the books are scattered all over the room again.

As a side note: I'm sure that I could ameliorate this problem. I admit to being addicted to buying books at the thrift store. But honestly, I can't pass up the beauties I find there. (Remember these? The one on the bottom, "Otto Goes to Bed," is now one of Rhett's favorites.)

But still. It's really getting out of control. So what do you guys do? I was thinking about rotating his books. Something like sorting them into four sections and putting out only one-fourth a week and then rotating. Would this work? Where would I put the three-fourths that aren't being used? (Can't keep them on his bookshelf as they'd all end up back in the living room.) Any other ideas?

And if you have any ideas for organizing/displaying stuffed animals, I'd love to hear those too.

3 comments:

  1. i am of zero help here. we have books all over. we do have a basket in the main floor to collect them all in. otherwise, they are on bookshelves and their bedroom floors.

    the boys have to clean up all the books before they leave their rooms in the morning. but that might be a little hard for rhett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I think I do fairly well with vocabulary, but I'd never seen the word ameliorate....had to look that one up. Guess I should read more.

    As for our books, we have hundreds and I can't part with any of them. They end up on the floor every day, too. They eventually get through the phase so I think it is good to keep them around so they get bored with making the mess rather than putting them away and making it into something new every month or two when you decide to rotate.

    I'm sure my house is not as orderly as yours, but I just leave them on the floor during the day and try to clean up in the evening. Sometimes I just pile them onto the shelves all willy nilly, other times I can't stand it and have to sit and organize them.

    We also have book baskets around the house. These are little wicker baskets in both living rooms and kids' bedrooms. Then if the kids want to read, we have a selection handy, wherever we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do a basket for the popular books to. It gets better as they get older- at least for us it has. The boys can now (usually) look at the shelf and find the book they are looking for rather than dumping them all on the ground.

    ReplyDelete