Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Where Can I Rent a Boy's Boy?

Oh how I want this boy to be a "boy's boy." You know, a ball-playing, rough-housing, sports-watching, animal-touching boy. This doesn't mean that I don't want him to be kitchen-playing nor doll-playing. Rather, it expresses my concern that I won't be able to give him these first qualities because they're simply not in me. Thank goodness I have a husband, right? Mostly right. Chuck is good for the ball-playing, rough-housing, and sports-watching (you know, when Rhett starts watching TV and has a bedtime late enough to allow it), but neither one of us can provide him a good animal-touching experience. Poor kid.

The other night right before bed, we were enjoying a lovely evening on the porch when I spied a caterpillar. I so wanted little Rhett to touch it and examine it and play with it, but when I jumped when he got close, I knew there was no chance. He did enjoy watching the little bug, however, so maybe there's hope? And in full disclosure, Chuck did better than I did. He at least got him on a leaf and then on his hand. That is much, much, farther than I got. It's hard to do those things when you're standing ten feet from the critter.






4 comments:

  1. funny. but just b/c he doesn't touch bugs doesn't mean he's not all boy. :) maybe he's just smart, ha. but he seems pretty brave. compare him to emmy who all of a sudden freaks out at roly-poly bugs and everything else. she was in hysterics the other day at a spider on the ceiling. hysterics. so i'd say rhett is doing great without the perfect example from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's hilarious......major is AFRAID of bugs too, he runs from them, spiders, sting bugs, as he calls them, ANYTHING....poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that being shy of bugs is a bad thing. Lillee loves them, she digs for worms to add to our compost and strawberry tub to help enrich the soil. Yesterday, she saw a spider on the rabbit hutch (not a small one, he was pretty mean looking) and she reached out to grab it.

    Caution is a great gift to a parent :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this post cracked me up because I often wonder what type of teenage boy Sam is going to be. Rather than being into sports and playing outside (like Luke) he tends to like art and to sing (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I just hope that he doesn't become a computer geek- I want him to like camping and being outdoors!

    ReplyDelete