Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Donut Dash 5K: The Recap

Can I just tell you that this was one of the most fun things I've done in a long time? Maybe that's sad and depressing, but seriously, I had a blast. Hopefully all those who came to my "race party" feel the same.

So how did it work? Pretty much exactly like I wanted it to work. I invited a ton of people, some signed up to run, some volunteered to help, some declined, and some didn't respond at all. I ended up with 26 5K runners, but with a bunch of kids and others who brought the total to nearly 50 people coming to my party!

The one big thing I wanted to do, but didn't, was actually run the race on race day. Sure, I'd run it a couple of times to check distances, but I wanted to run it early Saturday to (1) mark the mileage and (2) eat my flippin' donut! However, due to my stomach issues, I was unable to run that day. Sniff sniff.

Upon arrival at the park, bibs and pins were handed out to 5K runners (except those last-minute entrants who didn't get bibs--oops). As soon as everyone arrived, we started. Of course I forgot to start the actual race timer when I yelled GO! (oops) but hey, lesson learned, right?! While the runners were running, I was busy getting the finish line set. With the help of my volunteers, we got the streamers all set and the photographer in place. As I wasn't sure when runners would start returning (batteries in walkie talkies died--oops again), it was a fun surprise to see the first man come running towards us! Soon more and more people trickled in. And within 50 minutes, all of the runners had returned.

After the 5K race, we did the kids race where they ran across a small bridge, ate a donut or two, and then went back. I should have moved the race finish line for them, but again, lesson learned. But I'm pretty sure the toddlers didn't even notice.

While all of the runners cooled down and ate bananas, muffins, and leftover donuts, I tabulated final times in order to hand out awards. Medals were given for the first stroller, first youth, and the Lucky Donut. Medals and t-shirts were given to the first female and first male runners. All kids got ribbons.

Then we just hung out and chatted and partied! Hooray! Mark your calendars now, people: the Second Annual Donut Dash is set for Saturday, October 5th, 2013 at 9:00 a.m.

Start and finish area


Donut table


Cutest toddler trotter ever

4 comments:

  1. So, so awesome! I know this is a public blog, but anyway that we can get a few pics of runners and winners? Did they sign photo release forms? ;)

    It's on my calendar for 2013!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I so wish I could have participated! I'm gonna do it next year though, no matter what! :) I'm excited that it was a success, good job Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so awesome. all of it! what a fun tradition you've started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was very very fun. I was only regretting that I didn't run myself. For sure next year!

    And I will get those pictures to you asap!

    ReplyDelete